Yellow Plums

North Augusta, ON

When I was a kid we had a plum tree. Mom said it was there when she was a kid. It grew the sweetest, juiciest, yellow plums imaginable. Big, fat yellow plums.
I could climb out my bedroom window onto the roof and pick baskets full.

Any idea what it might have been? Zone 5a.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Do you remember if they were more round or more oval?

North Augusta, ON

More oval I think, like an egg. Boy, that was a long time ago!!!

Anna, IL

I have a sweet yellow plum but they are round, ping poong ball size and a little larger. They are called Shiro. Very prolific and easy.
RED

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

I have a yellow plum called "sierra". It is the best tasting of all my plums. It is not especially large and it is more or less round. It gets a little purple blush on the top when ripe. Quite a color contrast with the overall yellow color. The tree is still young and this is the first crop I let stay on the tree. That might account for the smallish size.

Baltimore, MD

Your plum sounds like either Yellow Egg or Coe's Golden Drop -- both are yellow egg-shaped plums which have been around for at least a hundred years. Shiro is a Japanese type and none of the Japanese types are oval so it must have been a European type. I have never heard of Sierra.

If you want to get one, I would get a Coe's Golden Drop since it is definitely the better-tasting of the two.

Scott

Edit: well I checked and Coe's Golden Drop is listed as hardy to zone 6 only, so it may have been Yellow Egg you had which is also the bigger of the two.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2008 5:42 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.