Planting Blackberry's

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

I just received a notice that my blackberry's have been shipped. It is still cold here and we are going to still get frost. I am not sure what to do with these things. They are bare roots. I thought I would have more time to do some research on these.

Can anyone help?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I think you can just stick them into pots and leave them outside 'till it warms up. They are hard to kill.

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Ha Happy You know if they can be killed I can do it! I did not think they would ship so dang early... lol My husband is going to kill me

Nashville, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi Jenn,
Wow, zone 7, that must be springtime, yeah? I'm sitting in zone 5 freezing at 13 degrees this morning.
No worries about your blackberry plants, though. If you are not ready to plant them, or don't know where yet, just heel them in, water the soil around their roots, and put a little mulch over it to keep it from drying out.
I am not trying to sell anything here, just offer helpful information, and I have a website that shows some of the plants we sell around here in Indiana. More importantly I put a planting guide to brambles on it. If you want to check out the guide, our website is backyardberryplants.com
We grow all kinds of brambles for our farmers market and CSA, and I have seen where they work and don't work. Again, don't take my website reference as a sales pitch, I just happen to have a combined passion and profession in berry production and growing. I really love berries!

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

brambledad, I see your a newbie DGer and just wanted to say welcome! Jenn looking forward to this Sat's RU! LOL

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

I know where I want to plant them but I am afraid it is going to freeze and they will die.. Plus I have never had a bare root anything in my life. I just killed 5 flats of onions so I would rather not kill these too. I have been searching the internet in a panic trying to figure out what to do and when to put them in the ground.

ugh the drama of plant life.. lol I could make a soap opera out of my fears! LOL

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Doc I am in a panic over these dang blackberrys! I am still working on that thing for you BTW. I had a CRAPPY week last week so I did nothing but vent!

Doc please come and save my blackberrys. The girls love them and I do not want to destroy them. UGH.

BTW: Of too the new website.. thank you!

This message was edited Feb 19, 2008 9:12 AM

Check your d-mail....:)

brambledad, I happen to have had your site saved in my bookmarks.....:) I thought the name looked familiar. Have you seen the forum on Dave's pending Auctions?

Nashville, IN(Zone 5b)

Not yet doc,
I am still feeling my way around davesgarden. But right now, I have to get my plane fired up...I'll be by around noon to pick you up, and we'll cruise up to Glenn Burnie to rescue the blackberry starts.
Hey Jenn, they are really tough. I left some transplants sitting out on some plastic for a week (got busy, forgot), and came back to them with a "OMG!" . They looked dead, but I watered them, planted them, and they are ALL are fine plants now. The only thing you need to do is keep the roots moist, not soggy, and you'll do fine. If you had to ever get anything bare root, blackberries are it.

Way cool, dude. Bring it on and hope you can stay for the Mid-Atlantic RU on Saturday and meet all of us. LOL Just d-mail me if you have questions on Dave's. The site is more complex than it appears, but it's the best $20. I've spent in a long time, I've learned so much on here and almost everyone is friendly and very helpful.

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

I like your website BTW! We need to get your ranked in google! (lemme call my DH) :)

I have a black thumb so I pray I will not kill these dang things. My girls LOVE berry's and I so want to have them for them.

To bad you are not close to all of us. You could come out and hang out this weekend. It should be fun! I am still very new the DG so I cannot help you as much as doc can.. :)

I have to go search your site for more money to blow so the DH can kill me.

Heck, Jenn, just tell him it's a late Valentine present, early birthday? what ever works......mine has to have his little "fuss" and I just point at that brand new bright red Troybilt tiller. End of subject.....LOL

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Birthday is coming.... LOL We will see. He was very nice with Valentine.. He usaully forgets it and this year he remembered. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.