Ski Season

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

aahh..wish I could...I bet Wayne really wishes he could!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Afraid Canton First Monday can't compare to the show on the Big Island. I have collected all the fal de ral I want and now just look around. We met at 10AM and I was back home by 3 PM. We bought only plants. They are beautiful but I am really spoiled after seeing Jen's. Thornless lime, 2 hanging basket tomato, 5 hen & chicks, rue, purple verbena, varigated friendship plant (really full in a basket), Some special kind of hollyhock and a few other things. Nothing impressive at all. Just the kinds of things that grow well in North Central Texas and that really limits the choices.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

They all sound beautiful Christi! I really like Hollyhocks if you can keep up with them, mine in Colorado seeded like mad everywhere! I pulled everyday throughout the summer! But for a color show, they couldn't be beat!

This message was edited Feb 28, 2008 1:24 PM

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I had the most beautiful doubles that seeded like mad....until last year. 90 days and nights of heavy rain. The plants died of rust and the flowers were slimey. I have a few coming up now but have no idea what they may be. One of my favorites.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I like holly hocks too... I grew some a few years ago, but they are high maintenance here. I was amazed at how tall they got

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

And fast! I have a pic I sent to JB when he was out here alone. One month they were 2 ft tall...6 weeks later - over 6 ft tall!!!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

There WILL be another BIAN Sale in the early fall. Will get the dates out as soon as I can....silly me i never thought anyone would be interested!!! :>(. How wrong i am!!! The fall show is not as big...next spring around this time...mo'betta dates soon as i can. I WILL take photos... it is so much FUN. We all have to wear a Tshirt that says, on the back. BIAN - Big Island Assoc. of Nurserymen. I wrote under 'nurserymen' ... "AND WOMEN". i will get lots of comments...mostly PRO...and I don't care!!!!!

Carol

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yes...please post dates as soon as you know them! This is something I am very interested in attending!

Yokwe friend Carol,
Shari

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

You go, girl. Why would there even be a need for gardening shows without women?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I have another vacation in September over labour day. And with the President anouncing 600.00 additional refund to be paid in May..well there is an imbedded vacation!

Say..do any of you Islanders know about a plant from Guam called Beetle Nut?
One of my co workers just returned from visiting her relatives..and brought me 3 beetle nuts...not only that..but she sprouted one of them for me. The seed is about the size of a pecan, and the sprout looks very palm tree like to me.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

okay..I found it in the PF. It is a beautiful palm...anyone know about caring for this tree, other than it looks very temperature sensitive
Betel Nut Palm
Areca catechu
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/60278/

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Randy, those pictures sure look like the ones at Jenny's. It makes this odd bulge and then peels back with this bloom. The seed turns bright red. Each time it throws a bloom, one frond dies and drops off. Think, maybe?

Kilikina

Thumbnail by LouC
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Maybe not. Hers didn't have fruit.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It sure does look like that...it says they bloom all the time.. The nuts are about the size of a pecan. I have it here in the window at work as she just gave them to me... I'm looking forward to it growing!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha!

My tree isn't a Betel nut, although very similar looking, and I do get red nuts on mine. We do have the Betel palm in Wailuku as street trees, and my friends who are from Micronesia walk along and pick them. They chew them and then spit them out. It is quite awful to see them spitting out the red juice, looks like something out of a horror movie. They tell me that they get a jolt from chewing them, something like drinking several cups of coffee. They also stain their teeth a bright red...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes..I just read up on that...very interesting!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Betel Nut is almost the equivalent of beer over here. When we see the Marshalleese sitting under a tree and just chewing and spitting we say he is Betel drunk. Very nasty! I know a lot of people who chew it - you can always tell, I think the stain is permanent. Some more so than others. But I am not even interested...yuk!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The tree is gorgeous though! It must like that sandy kind of soil?

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

So Shari, it's more of a narcotic than it's like drinking lots of coffee?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The web sites are saying it's like drinking a couple cups of coffee...but one wonders

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I don't really know, but I think (from observation) that it is more like a buzz from a beer than from coffee...they certainly don't seem real activated, more like relaxed...but I don't really know for a fact. DH just said that it may be like coffee to someone unaccustomed to caffiene.

Good luck with your tree, Randy!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.