grafting grapes

Canton, NC

I bought an older home last year that has 2 healthy concord grapevines. Unfortunately they are not very good for eating. I am wondering about grafting another grape onto this rootstock. I have grafted other plants, but never a grape. Does anyone know what the limits are?
Thank you!
Nancy

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

No. Never tried grafting grapes. Cuttings are too easy to root. Note tho that Concord is one of my favorite eating grapes.

Baltimore, MD

Nancy, grapes are hard to field graft. If you want to try grafting I would follow in detail the guide below:

http://berrygrape.oregonstate.edu/an-illustrated-guide-to-field-grafting-grapevines/

If you tried on one and it failed you would still have your other grapevine next year. Grapes are relatively easy to bench graft because you can callous them at high heat indoors, but outside in the spring it is not hot enough for fast callousing so it just takes too long. That and the problems with bleeding from the vine interfering with callousing are the reasons why grapes are hard to field graft. If you do try, one thing that guide does not explicitly mention is to make sure to put something black over the graft, to help it warm up in the sun.

Scott

Canton, NC

Thank you for your thoughts!
I ended up cutting them way back, as they were so overgrown and the wood was splitting, and will keep them as they are. I do love concords to eat also, but these tend to be a bit sour.
I did plant 3 new varieties in other places.
Thanks, again!
Nancy

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I have a grape vine that I'd like to take cuttings from to root. Mine do not need to be grafted I don't think. How do you go about propagating grapes from cuttings? Any special equipment needed?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.