started my own from seed...

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

last weekend. First time I have ever done this. I have them in my west facing windowsill. The room is super bright and warm. How often should I take the lid off? I have been taking it off for a couple of hours every other night. I'm thinking this will help keep it from molding. Is this correct? Do you think I'll have a chance at doing them this way? i do not have any artificial light to use and my sunroom is not heated enough to do them out there. I am trying Burpees big boy, better boy and beefmasters
thx
dawn

Thumbnail by pdoyle23323
Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Thumbnail by pdoyle23323
Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Dawn,

This is my first year to start my own tomato seeds, too. I used the same Jiffy pellets and tray combo to start my tomato seeds. I put them under cheap florescent lights once they sprouted, though. They did fine. I left them in the tray until they were about 4 or 5 inches tall, with several true leaves, then I potted in 3 inch pots.

Someone else may may be able to comment about the windowsill light. I've read that it's okay if you turn the plants (tray) regularly to avoid having the plants grow toward the light.

David

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Dawn - I learned all I know from the info on the "sticky" at the top of the Tomato forum. In the case of seed starting, read this classic thread from tomato expert, Carolyn. You can't go wrong with those great threads. The plant files are also incredibly helpful - link in the sticky as well. I used lights until it got warm enough during the day to put them out - now I bring them in every night when it's really cold. On very cold days they go back in my sunny window. Our plant out date is about 3-4 weeks away and I'm getting ready to transplant them the second time. Good luck!

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks! Will check out the stickies
dawn

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Dawn:

I'm sure someone else will chime in but from what I've read here, almost all the old hands recommend some sort of artificial light. I use cheapy shop lights from Home Depot and they work fine. The reasoning behind this is that the sunlight really isn't bright enough and that you can't control it so your seedlings will get leggy trying to reach towards the sun. Both Tplant and Critterologist have written some excellent reference material on seed starting. You should be able to find it if you do a search.

BB

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

dawn/david - speaking from experience i can tell you that artificial light is essential to growing healthy plants. i keep my lights on 16 to 17 hours a day.

another thing to know is that once the plants are transplanted they grow best in about 60 degree temperature.

good luck with your plants
frank

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Herbie. I have noticed today that I have 4 sprouts.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I think this thread gets bumped up every year - and I love it! Carolyn's advice is the best. It started in 2005 and may be different from the "sticky" on the tomato forum, I haven't re-read that one lately. Works like a charm - mine will be ready to put out in early March and a race to set fruit before the heat and horrid humidity begins here.
Good luck with your sprouts! That's so fun to watch them come up.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/490323/

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

good look to the both of you.

Plano, TX

i have little sprouts--no real leaves and leggy--today it is sunny and in the 50's--can i put these little sprouts out in the sun if i cover them? or is it too cold?

Plano, TX

i have my little sprouts under a regular light bulb--it is up close (desk lamp)-inches away and on for 12 hours or more at night--i always check and it does not get the seedlings hot or dried out--so -is a regular light bulb any good? and is it ok if they do not get any dark time--if i leave it on all night?

Plano, TX

ok-went and read the sticky and see all the things i am doing wrong--they need the dark at night--the light bulb might not be such a good idea--still not sure about the outdoors today at 50's--and the little leaves i see are not the true leaves yet--

I wouldn't put them out yet.

BB

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I started taking mine outside during the day as long as the weather is above 50 - then I bring them in at night. Lately we've had some 60 degree nights, so they stay out on those nights. It's lots of carrying back and forth, but they look pretty good. The windy days make them stronger, too. Those cheap shop lights at HD would work well.

That is a good thread, isn't it? My first attempt was last year with my small Ott light - they sprouted fine, but my cat decided tomato sprouts were a delicacy and ate every one of them. This year, she was shut out of the "tomato room" until they got so big she left them alone!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Bronx - we cross posted. You're right - Plano's are smaller and younger than mine. I planted my seeds on January 6.

Edited to say - mine were placed outside when they were about 3-4 weeks old after their first transplanting. The shop light setup I had was no longer big enough to give them all the light they needed.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2008 10:05 AM

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

planolinda,
I'm thinking of putting mine outside on warm days. So I can slowly acclimate them to their new enviroment.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

All righty then! Bookworm28, you've had them outside since 3-4 weeks after that first transplanting???!!! Mine are still under the lights! Those babies are getting thrown into the deep end tomorrow! Sink or swim!

P.S. I have a place for ALL your excess tomato seedlings! I'll send a d-mail blast to the Houston area gardeners with more info.

You think you could post a pic of your seedlings outside? I'd like to compare mine and see where I might NOT be...

Thanks.

Linda

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

I'll be starting my tomato seeds in a couple of weeks, using the methods in Carolyn's article.

I've got pepper and tomatillo seeds to start also. I know there can be problems with different growth rates for different veggies and getting the height of the shop light right. Seems to me that tomatoes, peppers, and tomatillos should act similar enough that I could grow them all together under the same light. Opinions?

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Ozark, I start my peppers earlier than tomatoes. They take longer to come up, grow slower and seem to do better if they are larger when I put them in the garden.
You can probably use the same light. I can't say for sure as I grow my peppers and eggplants upstairs and my tomatoes in the basement. May not be needed, but I have always thought peppers needed warmer temps than tomatoes to do well.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I've not tried pepper seeds, yet. That's next year's big step after mastering tomatoes. Glad to know the info Cyndiehook.

Hey gymgirl! After I repotted them the first time, we had such great weather on so many days and my lights were not broad enough for the expansion! I tried the windows for quite a few days, and then read somewhere that as long as the daytime temps are over 50 they'll be fine. I had them on a covered porch where they got morning and some afternoon sun. The wind whipped them some, but they seem fine. I also read that the wind makes them stronger. Of course bringing them in on the cold nights was a chore! (or a labor of love...) I'm now debating on whether to repot them all a 2nd time or not. I did half, so maybe an experiment is in order.

I'll try to post a photo in the next few days. I've got a lousy digital camera.

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Ozark,

I started my tomatoes and peppers under an adjustable 4-bulb shop light fixture. Up to about four weeks the growth speed of the tomatoes and peppers was close enough that they could share the lights. A few of the tomatoes are starting to get slightly taller, , so I moved them to a wire shelf with dual shop lights when I potted. The tomatillos I started are much smaller than the tomatoes, but they were much slower to germinate. I can hardly wait! About 3 weeks to last frost date for me.

David

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

planolinda - i use "grow lights" instead of reg flouresents (sp) and the plants need dark time or they will become leggy. as i said before i keep the light on 16 to 17 hours a day. it makes it a lot easier if you put them on a timer.

i start my tomato plants usually around april 1st but i will start my hot peppers and eggplants and for the first time, artichokes, this week.

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

I'm going to move mine to the sunroom and put a grow light on them. Just to make sure they are getting enough light

Plano, TX

mine are very leggy--i hope they make it--am trying to change some of the things i had been doing-like lights on all night-but as far as them being so leggy now-well i guess i will just have to wait and see

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

I have moved mine now. They are in the sunroom. It gets morning sun until about 12. It is on the east side of the house. I put a grow light directly over them about 12 inches above them. I have kept the lid on them but slightly ajar. The fans are always going so it should get good air circulation. That light gets pretty hot so that is why I did not put it really close to the plants. I have it on a timer from 12 to 9:30 pm. So they will get natural moring light and then the rest of the day and evening will be enhanced with the grow light. It also get warm in there in when the sun is shining. I have inch tall sprouts now. I'll take a pic of them tomorrow
dawn

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

waiting for your pictures pdoyle

planolinda - if they re that leggy perhaps you can re-plant them
sort of in a trough when you lay the stem down and cover it with soil up to the leaves.

Kenai, AK

interesting to read your tomato start reports, similar to mine, except mine were started in 20 below, with growlights and doing fine. I only grow tumblers, and always have tomatoes by the first of June. Of course that is in the greenhouse as no tomatoes grow outside in Alaska.

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

pic#1

Thumbnail by pdoyle23323
Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Should the light be closer? Do I need another one? They get pretty hot

Thumbnail by pdoyle23323
Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Don't know what happend to #2 - posting again

Thumbnail by pdoyle23323
Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Man, thats great ungaisle!

Hi Pdoyle:

From what I can see, your lights are too high. What type of light is that?

Here's a pic of one of my setups

I'm using ordinary 8 dollar shop lighs from Home Depot

Thumbnail by BronxBoy

Here's some artichokes under another rack to give you an idea of the distance from the light.

Thumbnail by BronxBoy

Actually, I'm looking hard at your rack and it looks like the same one in my artichoke pic. You can string a shop light up in 5 minutes on one of them

BB

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

BB, It prolly is one like yours. I'm usinga grow light. It gets hot. I'm afraid if I get too close I'll burn them

Plano, TX

herbie--if i burry them in a trench can i do the same by planting them deep?

Here

I took a picture of a full shelf so you can see the setup.

I use a regular fluorescent shop light so heat is not an issue.

Thumbnail by BronxBoy

Here how we tie them up.

Pretty simple

Thumbnail by BronxBoy
Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Yours are regular flourescent lights, the one I'm using is a grow light, it gets hot. Should I still be closer?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.