Amaranthus?

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

I have a packet of Summer Poinsettia Mix. I have seen them planted only once and they were spectacular in sort of a gross way (IMHO). Has anyone winter sown them and when. I am not sure what the botanical name is: A. cruentes or tricolor?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I grew them and they were very pretty, for a few weeks. They just didn't tolerate our extreme heat /drought last summer, and croaked soon after blooming. The blossoms were pretty for a short time though.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow, Karen, that's just how I remember them. I am still going to try them, maybe plant them where they get a little shade in the afternoon. If you winter sowed them, do you have a record as to when you sowed them?

And you have my favorite Verbene bonariensis too. I winter sowed them and they are spectacular. I am going to sow some more in case they did not reseed or survive.

Clementine

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you. They were wintersown March 27.

Karen

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

OK, that's good to know, Karen, I am definitely going to sow them, probably/perhaps around the same time.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I planted mine in a container with some polymer crystals. I was able to keep my eye on them since the container was on my deck and not in the garden.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Selinsgrove, PA(Zone 5b)

I winter sowed "Hot Biscuits" amaranthus on 2/11/07 last year. This photo was taken end of summer during the drought. I'm in zone 5. I still have extra seeds.

DEMinPA

Thumbnail by DEMinPA
Selinsgrove, PA(Zone 5b)

I also planted "Marvel Bronze" a shorted variety on 2/11/07.

DEMinPA

Thumbnail by DEMinPA
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

So . . . . it's safe for me to winter sow these now . . . I was wondering. Thanks DeminPa :-)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I looked up Marvel Bronze. You call 48 inches short?

I'm trying Pygmy Torch this year. Never tried this one before.
http://www.seedsandmore-store.com/catalog.php/seedsandmore/pd8863

Karen

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm trying Amaranthus Dreadlocks.

http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&SearchText=dreadlocks&mainPage=textsearchresults&RequestType=NewRequest&go.x=0&go.y=0&go=submit

Something is sprouting in its container, but it looks an awful lot like the celosia seedlings I have in another container. I'm guessing I had a lonely seed stuck to my finger. . . I really, really want to get some strong plants of this, so tried sowing it three different ways (WS, inside with heat, and inside with light). So far only the "heat" flat has any amaranthus. Are they generally slow to germinate?

Booker

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Amarathus, "Dreadlocks" is a lovely variety.

I spring sowed my Amaranthus (mind you I'm 2 zones warmer than you) on April 4th and they germinated on April 14th.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Oooooh, ooooh, I have 6 sprouts up in the amaranthus now! And they all have red stems, so I'm guessing I didn't carry *that* many accidental seedlings over from the celosia flats. Yay!

DH is laughing at me for taking pictures of my sprouts. Hey, they are my little green babies!

Booekr

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Cingratulations, bookerc

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.