Guava seeds propagation?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I've a Pineaple guava 'tree' for several years now, I've seen the plant produced flowers but never fruits. I was then learned that they need two in order to pollinate one another to make fruit.

I found a gauva fruit, and would like to try to propagate some seedlings. Anyone has experience to share?

Currently I can see that the fruit is progressively rippen and has a unique aroma of its own. Im wondering should I begin to harvest the seeds, or should I wait a while longer for the fruit to become fully ripe.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The guava.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Is that fruit a real guava or a pineapple guava? They're not in the same genus, so if it's a real guava and you're wanting it to pollinate your pineapple guava you may not have much luck.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

ecrane3,
I afraid it's a real guava. Since it was imported, Ugh!!! And I'm uncertain if they're truly tropical, they may not survive our winters here. Thanks.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

pf has this about the two genera of guavas. How about that, one never thought, something are so similiar to be two distinct genera of fruits. ecrane3, thanks again.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/22134/

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

They are in the same family, and occasionally you can get pollination between different genera in the same family. But you'll have a much better chance if you find yourself another pineapple guava. And you're right about the hardiness, regular guava is only hardy to zone 9, so it might survive a mild winter for you, but it'll do better in the long run if you bring it in for the winter.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Sound advice! Many thanks.
Kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.