Soon starting my veggie seeds

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

I'll soon be starting my vegetable seeds under flourescent lights. I'll be germinating tomatoes, cukes, leeks,fennel and others. What are some of the medium recipes you use?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I do most things in straight Pro Mix (BX)... I add a little polymer moisture crystals because that helps keep the medium from getting either too wet or too dry (don't add more than directed, or plants will heave right out of their pots as the crystals expand with water... less is more!). For seed starting trays, I sometimes lighten the mix with some additional perlite. Miracle Gro mix works OK for me too, but I can do without the extra fertilizer in it -- I'd rather add my own, when and where I want it. Sometimes the MG mix is a little more coarse than I'd like for seedlings, too.

I don't mix my own potting mix, partly because peat moss straight from the bale can be hard to moisten... bagged potting mixes have "wetting agents" added.

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

I use peat pellets with liquid kelp solution as the initial soaking to make them puff up. Kelp helps with germination.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm also a Pro Mix fan.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.