Bottom-watering of seedlings

Convoy, OH(Zone 5b)

This is only my second year with trying to grow flower plants from seeds. I am using Park’s large Bio-Dome with sponge inserts into the individual cells. I have the trays setting on heat pads and an adjustable fluorescent light fixture with two bulbs (used full-spectrum bulbs) above the trays.

Last year, I did not remove the dome soon enough and because of too much moisture, got damp-off. This year I will know to remove the dome immediately after germination. I also have a small electric fan circulating air 24 hours a day. I will be bottom watering using “Mister” micro drip irrigation with ½ gph drippers stuck in each tray. They are on a water timer unit allowing water to flow for ½ hour every third day. This equals ¼ gal of water per tray every third day. I will be placing a diluted fertilizer solution in the trays once a week.

When the seedlings become large enough, I plan to transplant them into 3” Jiffy peat pots. My question to this group is … “How do I bottom water” these seedlings? I still have to work and earn a living so I am on the road traveling four days a week – Monday through Thursday. Any advice will be appreciated.

Whitby, ON(Zone 6a)

I transplant my seedling from small trays into jiffy pots when they have about 2 sets of true leaves. I do not bottom water, too much time involved. I've grown flowers, both annuals and perennials, from seed, for over 20 years and have little problems with damping off. I water with warm water, fertilize all the plants once a week with half strength fertilizer, and use a 2 cup measuring cup with a well defined spout to gently water the soil around the seedlings, being careful not to touch the plant with the water.
I grow on average, about 1000 plants each season and lose very few. Karen

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Tanglee, when I take mine and put them the 3 inch pots, I usually put them in Miracle Grow that is supposed to have fertilizer in them, should I still fertilize them.
When do you start fertilizing the little darlings? How big are they.
Thanks for saying it is okay to gently water. I've been trying to spray them and I hate it. Also hate the bottom watering. They get so wet on the bottom, I'm afraid it will rot the roots.

Whitby, ON(Zone 6a)

Lorraine, I transplant my seedlings into more soiless mix which doesn't have fertilizer in it. Some people say you should transplant into potting soil, but the soiless mix has always worked well for me so I'm reluctant to try something different. I fertilize my seedlings once a week with half strength fertilizer. I use 10-52-10 fertilizer for the first month from when the seeds germinate and then switch to 20-20-20 until the plants go in the ground. I used to fertilize every time I watered with 1/4 strength, but found some plants got too much fertilizer. Since I always grow more plants than I really have space for I transplant into 2 1/4 inch pots. They're smaller, but I use the deeper square pots so the roots have more room vertically. I use jiffy pots only for the plants that don't like transplanting. The plastic ones keep the plants more moist longer too. Karen

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I know, I've noticed the jiffy pots seem to dry out really soon. Seems like I'm always watering them while the plastic cups I have really hold it better.
I'm glad to know you use regular fertilizer. I've been using Miracle Grow and it gets expensive after a while!
I've been mixing half and half with potting soil and jiffy mix seed starter. Is that ok

Convoy, OH(Zone 5b)

Tanglee - thanks so much for your insights.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I think plants multiply while we're asleep. I have a room that I'm using to keep everything in until planting. I swear there's at least 10 more every morning!!!lol I've got to buy more lights and put them up. Soon, I'll have to crawl under tables and shelves to get in there

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Lorraine! My friend. You are funny. I do not mean that in a bad way you know you are just witty. You go girl!!!! Friend BEV Plants can overwhelm sometimes.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

I don't recall where I read it, but I heard plants actually do their growing at night. But I still check my new seed trays every time I walk by!

Whitby, ON(Zone 6a)

I'm sure that mixing soiless mix with potting soil is fine, in fact the soil probably doesn't dry out as fast which is good when you use those jiffy pots. And aren't the plants in them hard to rewet if they get too dry!
I know the feeling of getting more lights! I started out with a 3 tier lighting fixture that my husband built me for Christmas one year. Then I put lights under the 2 shelves near the fixture. Then I put hooks into the metal table I repot on so 2 fixtures could hang under the table. Then I bought a gorilla rack at Costco and use the 4 shelves plus suspend a fixture from the ceiling above it. Then finally I hung 2 fixtures from the floor joists above my husband's workbench and he had to do his work elsewhere. So that made 22 fixtures and I still end up putting the bigger plants in the window come late April!
Karen

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Most of the things you buy that you're calling "potting soil" are probably soilless mixes...most of the commercial potting mixes are soilless nowadays, anything that actually has soil in it is usually marked not to use in containers.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

22 lights!! And I was complaining about how full my room is. You must have a warehouse!!!. Bless your husbands heart.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Ecrane, I went and read my miracle grow and sure enough, no soil. Forest compost, which I guess is trees and stuff, peat moss and perlite. I never noticed that because it is so much heavier than the starter mix. Read it too, peat moss and vermiculite, guess it must be the "forest products" that makes the difference.
I know it has tree compost because I spend a lot of time trying to pick the pieces of wood out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.