dark or clear containers

Menahga, MN(Zone 3b)

I know there is much written about having clear containers, but then I run across someone who is planting in dark ones, such as a coffee or kitty litter containers, or nursery pots, etc. I know they are covering with clear plastic, but how well are these dark pots working?

Eureka, CA

Don't know the answer, cuz I'm pretty new at this. But I didn't want you to not get any responses. :o) I'm sure someone will come along with an answer for you. I would ***think*** they'd need the light coming thru the clear or near-clear containers, but.... maybe someone has an answer for you.

Sanna

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

If you have a clear lid, it should work just fine. Some folks use things like cottage cheese containers, I have used these too and they work OK. You just cut out the center of the lid leaving just a rim, cover the container with clear plastic sheet, poke holes, and snap the lid rim back to hold the plastic.

Karen

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Hi Ollie: I used several different types of containers last year, and as long as the TOPS of my containers let light through, they all seemed to work fine. In other words, I left the tops ON my translucent jugs, but in the case of the opaque white (or any other color) gallon containers, I cut off the tops and slipped on a gallon-size plastic baggie (with holes cut for ventilation/watering.)

Menahga, MN(Zone 3b)

OK, thanks.....that's just the answers I was looking for.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.