Eureka, CA

Okay, so I know it's not really alllll that impressive, but hey, it's my first year of WS! I peeked into my containers this morning and found two with sprouts ~ poppies and lavatera, both from seed I harvested from plants last fall.... I love it!

Sanna

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Congratulations! Sprouts are always very exciting!

Eureka, CA

Yeah! Especially in a new manner.... I had read how easy poppies were, but I'm really happy about the Lavatera. And the neat thing I noticed is how really hearty/healthy the seedlings look. When I do stuff inside, it seems as if they always get leggy and don't really transplant well. These are looking really good! I did a bunch of other things too, so I can hardly wait. Today we actually have some sunshine, so I'm hoping something else might pop up soon.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Sanna, Congratulations! And may you have many more.

Karen

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Congrats on your new sprouts:-)
I am in awe of how easy this ws thing is. This is my first year at it, and it's amazing how many things have come up already. Ok, I admit I started a few things in November...I have already transplanted some poppies out into the gardens using the hos method and they are thriving!
Bev

hos method=??

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Sanna, that's great! I know how exciting it is to see the first ones ( actually ANY of them LOL).

Alameda, CA(Zone 9b)

Congratulations, Sanna! With this nice sunny weather we're having, I think you'll see some more in the coming week!

Eureka, CA

Yeah, I think so! This weekend has been a really nice break from all our rain. Not particularly warm, but at least the sun was shining! This morning I found my "Pam's Choice" foxglove starting to show signs of life ~ AND! I sowed some dwarf sugar snap peas, and they have sprouted very nicely! Again, I can't believe how healthy they look compared to what I try to grow indoors. I WS some money plant, and at the same time started some seeds inside. The ones inside have come up, but darn they're leggy. I feel as if the light I'm giving them should be sufficient.... seems as if everything I start inside gets leggy. Okay, I'm rambling now.... I'm gonna go out and check the containers one more time before it gets dark. :o)

Sanna

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one that didn't get the hos thing, LOL! Apparently it means 'hunk of seedlings'! Since poppies don't like their roots disturbed, the theory is that you cut the group of seedlings into hunks instead of separating individual seedlings out.
Bev

Eureka, CA

I had to think about it too..... I knew I had seen it recently on the wintersowing forum somewhere....

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Actually you can plant out just about anything by hos, not just poppies. That's how I transplant most of my seedlings. I do tend to sow pretty heavily so hos eliminated trying to tease seedlings apart.

Larger seeds, like zinnia or nicotiana, I sow individually since they are larger seeds and easier to space. Those I mostly transplant individually.

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.