Help with trumpet vine seeds!

Jackson, TN(Zone 7a)

First I want to make sure I have the right name. Trumpet vine? Grows every where here (Tennesse), Orange trumpet shaped flowers and large, hard seed pods. But, what do the seeds look like? How do you grow them? I am hoping this is in the right forum?! Help, Help!

Ridgeland, SC(Zone 8a)

Hi, when the pods are ripe, they will turn brown. The seeds are very small, but when they open, they are like dandelions and are wind born,so keep your eyes out. Just get some of them and rub them on the ground where you want them to grow. Do not cover them. They should grow for you . If I'm not clear on this, let me know. MOM

Jackson, TN(Zone 7a)

Thank you. I have several of the brown pods and opened one to find these strange flat kinda fuzzy little crab shaped things I thought were seeds. Just wasn't sure if that was what they were supposed to look like.LOL Thanks for the info and I should have them growning by next year. One more question: What is the Latin name for these? Couldn't find it.

Thanks,
Melissa

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

The orange trumpet vine that grows wild all over Tennessee (and Alabama) is Campsis radicans. I'm not sure how long it takes to flower from seed, but once you have one plant, you'll have runners popping up everywhere, and from personal experience I can tell you these will flower within two or three years. If you have trouble getting this to come from seed, let me know---I can dig you some plants!

Jackson, TN(Zone 7a)

That would be the one, Judith, thanks for the name. Is it going to take over my yard or is it something, if watched diligently, I can control?

Melissa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.