I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

And totally swamped with 'catchuping'....am getting some of the pictures to put up but my camera died on the trip. Had to buy a new one...Nikon, 8.1 mega pixels WITH memory card, not even 300.00. Good place for it to die!!!!

Sabah (Borneo) is an exquisite place!!!! I loved it!!! OK...so here are a few pics to hold you together....heh heh

This one is of Mount Kota Kinabalu...largest mountain in SE Asia...a World Heritage Site...dripping with Nepenthes, Melastomas, Orchids and climbers... view is taken in the car crossing a bridge!!!!

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

This one is of the mountain from the park

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

WELCOME BACK! :) Can't wait for more pics! :)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Glad your back...I'll go next time...if there's one.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

The next is H. imperialis we found growing in some shrubs...notice the environment!!!!! Later we were told that there are 2 King Cobras that live in that same little patch of greenery... YIKES!!! Must have been too hot for them!!!

Dorothy is Ted Green's wife...great friend of mine!!

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

You better...Randy...you would simply adore it!!! I am going to write up the entire trip...will send to anyone interested....sometime before next year.

Here are flowers from that umbel she is holding---3" across!!

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Wow!!! Great pics!! I can't wait to hear all about it and I would be interested in the story you are gonna write up. :~)

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Hello!!!! Welcome Back :*)
Can't wait to hear it all.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Now that is a knock out flower for sure. I want to hear all about the trip and see more pictures. I've never been anywhere and I am just drooling over what you've posted so far.

And a big Welcome home to you. Glad you made it back safe and sound.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Here is the gang in the Rainforest at Park Kota Kinabalu....clouds drifting in and out.

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Here is what the floor of the forest looks like....tons growing in it.

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Still in the Rainforest...Orchid in bloom.....(no, no one planted it.....)

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

One of the Butterflies at the Butterfly Park....

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

New ornamental banana for me....it will full of flowers (inside the Butterfly Park)

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Selamat kembali!!
Okay...pulling chair to the front...paying close attention...
Wowie....

mulege, Mexico

Welcom back, Carol.

Glad the trip went well and you're home safe and sound, albeit wet.

katiebear

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Selamat kembali What?

I want one of everything, including the butterfly. That jungle is awesome. Kind of like Jurrasic Park, that had to be the coolest trip.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Robyn, "Selamat Kembali" ...welcome back in the Malay language.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

The Malaysians are wonderful people HS...even the most humble are warm and loving...GREAT food too!!!! Here is a photo taken in a vegie market in the middle of nowhere. Mangosteens anyone????? They are the purple fruit...we ate TONS and TONS...finally I ate enough (ONE day)....

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Thank you, I thought it was the name of the butterfly till I tried to google it and couldn't understand anything it said. lol

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Staghorn Ferns...just a small display!!!!!

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Terrain too steep to get closer!!! Wild Rhododendron!!!!!

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

I had bought some mangosteens a week back! They were rotten!! You can't tell cause the skins are hard with no blemishes!
Did you eat any durians??

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Welcome back, Carol! Great shots! That's a great camera! Can't wait to see more. I'd like a copy of your story!!!!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Heavens...No...sorry to say that Durians and I are not close friends!!!! I cannot get past the smell.
P.S. Durians are an exquisite fruit to some...which have a horrible smell - forbidden on buses and public transport - and I can't get past it. Others eat it and it is so wonderful they can do something to their smellers to ignore it. I can't.

We did have the most wonderful bananas (only about 5" long) and incredible papaya and tangerines!!! Malay food is really good....and their hot sauce is more flavorful than spicey!!!"Nasi Goreng" is Fried Rice and 'whatever', Mee Goreng is Noodles and 'whatever'....many a breakfast of Mee Goreng with a fried egg....tons of spices and vegies and maybe meat. The 'overtone' is Muslim, so no Pork is served unless you go to a Chinese Restaurant and no beer either...unless a Chinese or Caucasian restaurant....

Salamat Jurang (sp.?)

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Oh Carol, what adventures you've had! The pictures are wonderful!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Kel says durian tastes like an over ripe avocado! If you could ignore the smell!
Carol, I like to bottle my own 'sambal' whenever fresh chillies are available. Seems that you'd soon be continuing that Malay culinary adventure perhaps at an Indonesian restaurant or thru' a cookbook!!
Shall reserve my seat here...and I bid you all Sweet Ones,
Selamat Malam
Good Night

Edited to add: Carol, brilliant!!! You certainly pick up Malay so easily! Warms my heart to read Malay written by another!

This message was edited Feb 9, 2008 1:35 AM

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

What an amazing trip and so much more to come. The veggie market is beautiful. So happy that it was a successful and happy adventure. Can't wait to hear about it from you.

C

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Heavens...how do you make your Sambal...I would love to try it!!! I ate it on everything - scrambled eggs, even!!! And we get a lot of chiles here....lots of ethnic mixtures on the islands!!!

Here is a photo of our 'gang': Left to right: Rahim, our companion/driver for the 12 days. Then his new wife and newer baby girl, and Sofie...the daughter of the owner of the B&B and a terrific lady. Her son is in front of them.

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Here is Ted crossing the 'swinging bridge' over a stream...really scary for me as I 'don't do heights'. We trekked up to a waterfall thru a rubber plantation where they bled the trees for the lactic sap. Those photos will come later.

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Peace Lilly growing below the spillway. Thse grow in the streams and ditches all over the place...none were blooming.

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I found an incredibly wonderful book in KK....called IN BRUNEI FORESTS. It is small, light and not expensive...and so full of information about growing tropical plants, tropical rainforests etc....i hightly recommend it!!! You can get it from www.borneobooks.com .

Aloha

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

I had forgotten how the mothers there apply mittens to their newborn kids, so they won't scratch their faces!!
It's like "coming home" looking at all these wonderful pictures, especially of the plants in their native environment. Thank you for letting us visit the tropical rainforest through you!
How about I dmail you a couple Malay recipes?
Seat still here.....☺

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

*sigh*
I live to do things like that! Love the pictures.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

RJ, you should plan ONE trip to the rainforest in this lifetime.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Indeed, I had planned on this one, but times changed and my passport expired.
I lived in Liberia and made many of forrray into Liberias equatorial rainforrests, and to tell the truth I would have been a happy national geographic photographer sitting at the top of a tree for hours swatting bitting insects to get that perfect shot!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Lolol..or the leeches on the ground!!!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

YES...we had close encounters with leeches! One was walking (?) up my walking stick...didn't get any in my shoes...didn't go into too many really wet areas as it hadn't rained for a while....

Randy...you would have gone berserk!!!! The bush were mostly Melastomes...Nepenthes all over the place....the birds are magnificent (I actually saw a Trogon up close in the wild!!!!)...sigh.

Jaye...would love recipes...nothing complicated...especially for Sambal. And Mee Goreng... sigh.

Carol

Mount Kota Kinabalu early in the a.m. from hotel lanai...before the clouds came to hide it.

Edited to say that the hills are covered with Medinilla Magnifica....just covered. And mixed in with them is the brightest dark blue morning glory I have ever seen. A friend is sending me the photos HE took, so I can post more!!!

This message was edited Feb 9, 2008 4:39 PM

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Jaye post the recipe for Simbal for all of us, I would love to try it. It will probably be as close as I'll ever get to Malay

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Belachan 101:--
The primary ingredients are fresh red chillies and belachan or trasi (shrimp paste) pounded together in a mortar and pestle. You can use a blender. The ratio should be to every tsp. of roasted belachan, 10 fresh chillies are used.
Belachan is made of fermented shrimp mostly sold in Asian supermarkets that carry Malaysian or Indonesian foods. BTW, belachan has a very pungent smell, but once roasted, the aroma's "improved". A substitute would be finely ground dry shrimp. You can find this bottled, on the Mexican food aisle.
There's no liquid added, so the paste will be thick. Add freshly squeezed lime juice to it, before serving. Sambal is primarily used as a relish or dip.
Then from this "master" sambal, one can add shallots, garlic or onions to it, poundred together. Then saute the mixture with heated peanut oil in the wok and add veges or seafood to make into delicious main dishes. Or do like me, just saute, once the shallots and garlic are cooked, I store it in a container, and refrigerate. Good luck Robyn! Warning, you'd get addicted to it!
Sorry Carol....taking your space here...
OK....placing chair back in the corner!
Selamat Malam Sweet Ones!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.