HOSTA

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Hello from a new member. Would there be any interest in a seperate forum for the discussion of Hosta? Your posting here may help Dave decide! Thanks, John (Pardancanda)

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 6th 9:03 AM

Hi John,
I think you know that I would be interested in a seperate hosta forum, LOL.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

yes ..a Hosta forum would be great. I am intereted in Abiqua drinking Gourd...but they are VERY expensive here in my neck of the woods..ON Canada

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Yes, oh yes, I am a hostaholic. Brenda

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 6th 9:02 AM

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

I am not sure, Sis. I had one that I brought in the greenhouse this past fall and she died back. I thought she would keep her leaves and continue growing. I didnt keep the greenhouse really warm, but I did keep it from freezing.

I have a question for all those hosta 'Experts!' Has anyone been successfull with germingating seed from them? I have a large green one, who knows where the name went( I have two small children that remove tags and such), with puckered leaves. It has all sorts of seed pods on it. I wouldnt mine getting some started if it would be worrth it. I dont want to have had the failure I have had with Clematis. Suggestions appreciated.

Hosta seed geminates easily in about three weeks from planting. It does not require any cold treatment, as does clematis. John

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 6th 9:03 AM

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Sis, hostas need to sleep in the winter. I grow lots of hosta but in all honesty, I think they grow best in a colder climate such as Wisconsin. Brenda

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 6th 9:04 AM

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

I guess I have to admit my addiction too! I have a ton, and my moles have a ton too!!! I bought drinking gourd hosta this year off e-bay. There are some great buys if you look for them. "Paulsglory" is the username of the guy I buy alot from. Drinking gourd was $8.00. I will add a few more usernames that I have bought from at great prices. sue

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 6th 9:04 AM

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

I would love a separate forum for hosta. I'm an addict, also. Just can't seem to help myself.

I plan to try growing hostas from seed with the help of a friend who owns a nursery. Anyone with seed to spare send it my way. :)

For anyone interested, I can provide germinating instructions. This comes from my friend who seems to have a great deal of success. Of course, if I tell everyone this, I'll never see a seed....you'll all be trying it yourself. :)

Have a blessed day!

Topeka, KS(Zone 5b)

Oh, yes! I'd love to see a separate hosta forum.

(*~*)

The forum is up!! Thanks, Pardancanda, for suggesting this forum.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/hostas.html

Dave

Excellent! Thanks, Dave. John

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.