Maybe a little too early

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

In my rush to get blooms in summer '08, I set up my light shelf and planted a couple dozen or so cups of perennials what were listed on the materials I found. I just checked and Majorette Hollyhock is coming up, as is Texas Star Hibiscus, and Mystic Merlin. I am thinking I should bundle those other cups and stick them outside until mid-March anyway? I don't have room for hundreds of growing seedlings inside. This is something I should have foreseen, but I didn't expect germination in three or four days!

Any suggestions? At least I know those seeds will germinate!

Auburn, MA(Zone 5b)

That sounds like a good idea. How big are the cups you planted them in? If they're small, you can put them in a cardboard box, with no top. You may want to find a way to cover your cup tops.....just to protect them from washing away in any rain or wind. Maybe you can find a really big clear plastic bag?

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, merryma, that's exactly what I did. I found transparent leaf bags at Food Lion which are perfect for slipping containers of seeds into.
Also, at Lowes today, they gave me ten feet of the plastic they use to cover things up with. I will stretch that over any others they put out. I have painter's plastic drop cloths to use as well. The cardboard box is a life saver. I can get all those I need from Dollar General and Family Dollar when they put them in their dumpsters. Today, I even bought more seeds (totally unnecessary!) but I have so much room by putting them outside. I am really on a roll. What I need most is a accordion index file box to put my seeds into alphabetically. I forgot all about that today.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Gloria: That is an interesting move. I have to say that I never heard of starting plants this way- i.e., starting inside under lights and putting outside in February in zone 6. Please let us know how they turn out.

Karen

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

Karen,
This was not a choice. I realized that I do not have room for thirty cups-full of perennials once they start to grow. They were planted very recently (Feb 4,5,6,7) so they really haven't "started" yet except for the three I mentioned. I do expect that the cold tomorrow night (16 degrees) might hurt them. I can always bring the boxes of cups in for tomorrow night because thereafter the temps will moderate to the 20s and 30s at night and 40s and 50+during the days.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.