Fig Tree, Favorite Variety for California?

Amherst, VA(Zone 7a)

Does anyone have fig trees? I did a search, and seems there are a few varieties. I love fresh figs but have no idea "which" fig I have eaten.

Do you have a favorite you would recommend? I live in So. Calif. near Calimesa (not sure what zone that is, if that matters). thanks

Amherst, VA(Zone 7a)

Well I went to a nursery this morning and went ahead and got the mission fig (oh i think that is what the name of it was.) I know they had the kudata in stock to choose from, but I didn't buy that variety.

Wharton, TX(Zone 9a)

I'd like to know too skittles2u. I hope someone chimes in here. What are the kinds we get in the supermarket?

mulege, Mexico

I think the ones at the supermarket are usually Mission. I have a Brown Turkey here in Mexico but it hasn't fruited yet.

Check the PlantFiles for varieties and where they are reported to do well.

katiebear

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

I was lucky and got a blue mission fig to grow well in Charlotte, NC (Z 7). I covered it when temp was going down to 15 deg a couple of nights with no loss. I also had brown turkey which is easy in the South. In CA, the blue Mission fig is probably easy and I think it is great- large tasty dark blue figs (really purple to me) but what I really like is the tree stucture is much more attractive that brown turkey. The limbs spread and leave a lot of air space between them. I have a photo of it on my other computer- I'll email it to this one. One pic shows how much my dog liked them.

Kadota is familiar because it's available as dried fruit in the supermarket next to prunes but I've never had a fresh one.

Paul

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

RE: CA Blue Mission Fig
Here you can get an idea of how open the tree is. This is just one side of it and it was about 7' tall and 6' wide when this photo was taken. I don't know how to send two photos in one message so I'll follow with the other photo.
Paul

Thumbnail by pbyrley
Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

One of my fav photos of the tree and my dog

Thumbnail by pbyrley

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.