Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

another

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

another....

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Does anyone think they will grow in the high desert? Things that are invasive elsewhere are not here. Simply don't water and they die. Either of heat or cold. 100 - 110*F in the summer... 10*F or less in the winter. Zone 6b (except for last year, more like 4!). We get strong winds from the south, so I was thinking of planting it on the north side of a wood fence - I have about 100 feet of fence to cover. The fence is across a narrow sand and gravel road from my garden, so I'm hoping it won't "jump the road." (I guess I could just make sure to drive my truck and tractor over the road a lot if I see seedlings popping up!) My grand daughter visits my garden and I only have edible and "ok to be accidentally eaten" plants in there.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

szarvas, Hungary

This one has a beautiful and rare colour !
http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2010/08/08/BLOSSOMBUDDY/0d3b44.jpg

Here is Tequila, with more fire !

Thumbnail by dany12
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

They seem to like my poor soil.. I have not tried any up in my sand sand. Really do not want them there.

I have a bed that is 150 feet long and right now I am yanking the old plants and as I do the seeds are goign in my lane and they will be every where. The lane gets mowed.

As I am yanking the clocks, I am putting them on a bed sheet so to catch the seed droppage. Beleive me, I got a ton of clocks that will come back in that bed.

The clocks have a root like a carrot!

Under ideal growing conditions I consider them to be invasive, but tameable. Ya just gotta yank the ones you done want. Zone 6 I would think they would do fine. I do water mine here frequently in dry years.

All in all, I love this plant. Im tempted to put them elsewhere in the gardens here.. but I think I have plenty in my cutting bed. And no, I do not consider them a "cutting" flower.. its just what happen to grow good in that bed this year..

Im wanting a ton of zinnias seed for that bed for next year.. (BEG!!!)

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

dany12 that is lovely!

The aroma of the clocks is heavenly!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Donnamack get some milky spore for those beetles. I am betting you also got gophers in your yard or get a ton of starlings gobbling grubs! Milky spore will take care of the grubs and those other pests will have to go elsewhere for their chow too.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Blossombuddy. I have a few dozen seeds for this spring. I was thinking that wasn't much for lining the back of 100 foot of fence... but I think that it very well might be! Looks like even if only one or two plants make it to seed, I will have enough for years to come!

Thanks for posting your photos, everyone. Looking forward to seeing (and smelling) some of my own next year.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

A few clock plants go a very long way..

Here are some of my roots from plants I pulled yesterday morning... I will have tons of seed not only in the bed that these are coming from, since I only pulled a fraction of them out so far, but I will have the seeds in the blanket too! Oy.. !

Now I have a dummmm question.. are the roots edible?! Im not gonna try them, but thought maybe someone had worthy advice!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Critter on a clock...

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

And seed!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Time to dream for next year!

(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

went off DG for awhile so did not see the rest of this thread...but I do have a pic of the limelight growing next to old fashioned.

Thumbnail by lavender4ever
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Is it "clock" time again? Those are gorgeous! I planted seed, but so far.. nothing. Its been so rainy here.. everythign has been reduced to miniature!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.