Zauschneria californica propagation

Northeast Harbor, ME

Curious if theres anyone with helpful information on the ideal conditions for starting Z. californica from seed.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

If I remember correctly, I started mine from cuttings .... good luck! Once they start, they spread rather nicely

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Pagancat - tell me your secret! I've started many cuttings easily, but they die before they get to planting size. I've even dug up some small natural seedlings and moved them with no luck. How do you handle yours?

Oh geez... me and my big mouth.... I honestly don't remember much other than there was algae in the water when I finally planted them. It was outdoors under an overhang in Phoenix - perhaps some heat might help you? I'm trying to remember what time of year it was ... I wanna say it was early summer?

LOL - I thought it was our heat that did them in! The one big one I have is in full sun, but the babies are another story. I have to cut the big one down to a nub in winter. I'll just try them again - maybe in water this time so I can watch the roots.

La Honda, CA

Zauschneria seed always pops up in 1 - 2 weeks in our germination tests. Sow it on the surface of a nice, sandy, well-drained soil - remember, these guys grow in hot, dry, rocky spots, so you want to avoid too much moisture which might do in the seedlings. "Mimic nature" is a good rule of thumb when starting seeds. Good luck!

J.L. Hudson, Seedsman

Gee, I feel like I just sighted a celebrity! Thanks for stoppin' by!

Thanks for the tips!

So far I've been trying to pot up/move the little seedlings that come up all over the yard, but this year I wanted to try to collect the seed and go at it methodically. No sandy soil here, but I have one plant that is big and comes back beautifully after a yearly shearing, so I guess there is something it likes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.