Seeds up, do I move them inside.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I have some of my winter sowed things coming up because it's so warm here. Some of them are up and getting pretty big, some already have leaves.
Do I bring them inside or do I leave them. I just hate to see little plants get frozen, but don't want to kill them either. Poor babies.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Ah, Lorraine...We've had some warm days, too and I am worried about the same thing. Having said that, though my poppies sailed through the warm then freezing days with no problem. As for the rest that may be more tender, I've had some luck putting them near the brick on the patio with some old windows that I scavenged in front for some warmth. Other than that, I'll keep my fingers crossed and know that not everything will work.
Hollyhocks seem to be able to take it as well.
Bev

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Good, I've got lots of those outside too. I have a patio table with a glass top, you know the thick stuff. I took the top off and kind of leaned it up against the house with room behind it. I think I'll use that like you did.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Don't move your sprouted winter sown seedlings indoors because it will weaken their stems! Yes, you might loose some of them due to the fluctuation in temperature, but remember the winter sowing motto: "ONLY the strong survive". Just think of it as Mother Nature culling the weakest. The seedlings that remain will grow into strong, sturdy, & hardy plants.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I won't, I promise. I haven't brought anything inside, I just wish the weather wouldn't be so warm. Isn't that awful, hoping it will cool off?
Some of my hostas and stuff that are in the beds are starting to peek up out of the ground too. I guess I just need to cover them with leaves maybe. Or, just not worry, if a few little toughies freeze, their brothers are right behind them to come out too

I think Mother Nature is playing tricks on us! A few warm days of wonderful Spring like temperatures and then back to blustery cold days of Winter. The plants in your beds should be fine. Covering them with leaves or mulch helps to protect them. The hardiest plants come through the fluctuating weather like troopers and then reward you with renewed growth and vigor!

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't think you can kill hostas unless they are in the sun. They're tough little darlin's.
I notice some of the things I put out to WS 3 days ago are germinating.

Congratulations on getting your Hostas to begin germinating! BTW, yellow colored Hostas leaves can tolerate more sun than the dark colored ones.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.