Pelleted Seeds

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I have never started pelleted seeds before and it seems like this year almost every seed I have is pelleted. Is there much difference time-wise for these seeds to germinate? I am used to seeing my petunias sprout 3-4 days after planting them and am feeling a little uneasy as I approach my 8th day with no seedlings.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

no there is no difference in speed of germinating. I much prefer pelleted seeds myself, makes the seed much larger and easier to see. You have to be careful about not getting them wet before you sow them or the coating starts to dissolve and stick together. You treat them the same as non pelleted seeds-sow them on top of the soil and mist every day and cover with plastic until they germinate.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi Tiger, thanks for the response. Check, check, check and check. I can't think it's my set-up since I started them just as I always have. Nor would I think it's the seed since they came from 4 different sources. But I've only had 2 (out of about 100) germinate in 8 days and I'm starting to feel a bit anxious.

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

hi lala :)
tiger, do you cover with plastic and still have them under lights? I just planted pelleted lisianthus seeds but did not cover them, I was afraid they would roast under the lights. ...just got a rack and lights and wasn't sure about covering
thanks

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

wind-I don't use lights, I have them in a grhouse in full sun. I would put the lights up higher, and use plastic. In the beginning, its really the moisture that gets them to germinate, but the lights are important as soon as they germinate.

lala-not sure why they are so slow to come up, except that maybe the soil temps are not as high as in previous years for you. I know that when they drop in temp, it slows down germination-its the only thing that I can think of.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Another possibility might be the freshness of the seeds--fresher seeds usually germinate faster. And some seed places tend to sell better fresher seed than others.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Well kids we have lift-off. Whew!

The "slow" seeds were all purchased this year and ironically the only ones that germinated quickly were some that I had from '06! Those were the only ones NOT pelleted which was what made me wonder if that was what was causing the difference.

Hiya Wind! I do start mine on a heat mat, covered, and under lights. I keep my house pretty cool though and have never given any thought to cooking them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.