After they germinate, what about light

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

After the plants germinate, do they still need to stay under the light.
Some of mine germinated then grew enough to put in bigger pots. So, do they stay under lights too?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

yes. leave the lights a couple of inches from the tops of the leaves. If you don't, they will get leggy, and it's really hard to overcome spindly, leggy seedlings.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Yes--absolutely. The light is critical after they've germinated, if you don't have light then they'll get leggy. I'd keep them under lights until it's spring and you're able to get them outdoors.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Some of the seed I Winter Sowed have come up and some of them already have leaves. Do I need t take them inside or just leave them

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Don't know LorraineR...never winter sowed.

Do know with tomatoes that if you start them indoors, harden them off outdoors and then bring them back in, you've defeated the purpose. Hardening off kills the very fine roots and encouraging new growth when put in the soil. When brought back into the house, you start all over (or mostly so....like everything, I imagine there are degrees).

Tomatoes love light and I don't know if you can get them too close to fluorescents. Last year I had some of mine growing between and touching the bulbs. From what other growers have told me, because tomatoes need so much light and because light drops off exponentially by distance, its a good idea to do what I did and get them as close as possible.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Winter sowed plants are fine left right where they are, as long as you didn't winter sow tender annuals.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I did winter sow some marigolds, columbines, stuff like that. Should I bring the marigolds in. (Course I have thousands of seeds, so if they die, I can always just sow them outside.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.