After they germinate and I take them out to repot

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

After my seeds have germinated and grown enough that I need to take them out of the little domed things and put them in something bigger, do I use the same seed starter mix in the new pot or do I just go to the potting soil.
I don't know why I thought of that and why it is important, but it's a matter of life and death to me

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I generally put them in potting mix when I move them up, they're plants now instead of seeds so it made more sense to me that way (plus at least where I shop, potting mix is cheaper than the seed starting mix!) The ss mix doesn't usually have any fertilizer in it, so if you do continue to use it, make sure you start to give your seedlings a little bit of dilute fertilizer so that they have the nutrients they need to grow.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

My common sense , what little I have ) told me put it in potting soil, but since I've been coming here I've learned a lot of things I was wrong about!!
After I move it from the little jiffy cup up to a little bigger size, I'll still have to move it once more, right? I figure if they are already sprouting and moved now, by time to plant outside, they'll be too big for second pot.
Too confusing for me, but I've read lots of your stuff and you seem to know what you're talking about

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know if you'll have to move them up again--you're in a pretty warm climate so spring's probably not too far away. It all depends on how fast they grow.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm glad you said potting soil, the seed starter mix here is twice as expensive. I've done a couple other things too, which are probably wrong) I filled the cups about 3/4 with potting soil and then finished it off with starter. I figure by the time it gets through the seed starter, it will be ready for potting soil anyway. I've also just mixed it half and half. Yes, I'm stingy, but I can tell you how much money I've spent on seed starter.
If I'm wrong I'm sure my muses will tell me, ha ha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.