sweetest grapes

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

I want to plant two more grape vines this year. I already have the places picked out. I'm having a hard time deciding which varieties of grapes to purchase. The more I google, the harder the decision is, because of ALL of the different varieties.

I really want a sweet, cold hardy, grape. I want them for eating. Especially for the kids to enjoy. No tart or bitter grapes. Any opinions out there? DM

Baltimore, MD

If your kids don't mind seeds get Swenson Red - its fruity and delicious. Most kids these days don't seem to have much tolerance for seeded grapes however, having been spoiled on all the seedless ones in the stores. Reliance is a good seedless grape but it may not be hardy where you are. Jupiter and Canadice are other good seedless grapes to look into.

Scott

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

Scott,
Swenson red is one of my choices that I was seriously thinking of. I was also thinking about valiant, bluebell and himrod. Do you know how they taste? Or any other information on them? Have you grown or tasted Jupiter,canadice or Reliance? I've seen those mentioned alot also. Thanks DM

Baltimore, MD

I have never tried the grapes you mention. I am growing Candice and Jupiter. The former has fruited for me and its a good grape, but I believe it prefers a somewhat cooler climate.

I would buy some seeded grapes and test to see if your kids will eat them before planting seeded grapes. I can't get my kids to eat them and now I have some very nice healthy 5-year seeded grapes which are not doing me much good.

Scott

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

Scott, I forgot, does (seeded grapes) mean they have or don't have seeds?

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Himrod are sweet-tart, light gree, and juicy. My son loves them, but he likes grapefruit too so I'm not sure if that is a recommendation.

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

Maury,
Thanks for letting me know your experience with Himrod. I love grapefruit too.

I think I'am going to buy Swenson Red and Jupiter. That will give me 3 grape vines for my edible garden. I saw one on Lon Rombaugh's website that sounded real good and I'm considering getting it. It was called (Price). Thanks again everyone.

Scott I found out what seeded grape meant. DM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.