Philly Flower Show Trip with WG Mag

Germantown, MD

I'm going on with Washington Gardener Magazine group - found out about it at the Seed Exchange - (see the tour info at: www.chevalsgardentours.com).

This will be my first time going to this and I'm excited! Any tips from those who have been?

I know to pack walking shoes - but wondering how much stuff there is to buy. Rolling packback?

- Amy

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

LOL - you'll love it - it is incredible - lots of vendors, prices fairly ok, but, what they have there you can find elsewhere cheaper :-)
Bring good shoes, camera and make sure you visit the market across the street, for both food and plants :-)

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I second Becky's advice. If I'm not mistaken, you will be able to bring your goodies back to the coach and stow it in the storage below; of course you should check with them, but you may be able to carry your loot out to the bus and then go back and buy more. Otherwise, you might arrange to have the vendors hold any oversized or awkward items for you until you're ready to leave for the day.

Yes, you should consider carrying a backpack or similar (lots of small bulbs and gadgets to throw inside). You'll want to take tons of photos for those things that inspire you, if you're anything like me.

Definitely go to the market across the street, but since you're traveling with a 'tour' you probably won't be able to sneak down to South St. to get a cheesesteak; I believe that the next best cheesesteak option is the place in the market across the street from the show.

Has the WG trip sold out? date and details? I doubt that I'll be able to make it, but I've been thinking about driving up.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric and I will be going this year. We're going to drive out only about 2 1/2 hrs from us but we are getting a hotel for the night and making it a sleep over. It's been years since we went last. The big displays are just unbelievable. One of my favorite smaller displays was a backdoor theme, hope they still have that one. There would be a backdoor with a stoop and there would be wreaths, potted plants, old shoes or boots, window boxes, trellises. There would be maybe 10 or 15 of these displays each one with a different twist. Maybe a garden shed door with veggies growing in the window box. A beach house theme with potted plants and grasses or a country kitchen door with a herb wreath. Such a simple and beautiful theme. When you looked at them you would think I could do that.
Warning be ready for the crowds last time we were there the crowds were just really really bad.

Germantown, MD

OOOH you guys have me salivating!

The market across the street is Reading Terminal right? Sounds like Union Station here - but maybe more food-oriented? The tour folks are meeting to go over their for dinner (pay your own - not included in price) so I think on your recommendation I'll join them for that too. Sounds like I get some good Amish goodies there too.

Wrightie said:
>>Has the WG trip sold out? date and details? I doubt that I'll be able to make it, but I've been thinking about driving up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.