An aquarium question

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I have a little 10 gallon aquarium and I cleaned it out, left the rocks in it, then put the soil on top of that for about 4 inches. Then planted seeds in it. Now, I'm worried. I keep the aquarium flourescent light on all the time, but the few things that are coming up are really leggy, I'm sure because the light is too far away from the plants.
Should I just take it outside and winter sow or be patient. Believe me I am not the person to say patience too. My eyes turn red and this strange noise comes out of my mouth

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

It's most likely the color of the light .. flourescent light is very blue which causes leggyness. I found that out when I put a blue shade cloth on my greenhouse. See if you can find a grow light that will fit your aquarium hood.

X

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It could be the distance from the light too--the light really needs to be just a couple inches above the seedlings, if it's farther away than that then it does the seedlings a lot less good. I've always grown things with plain old fluorescent lights and there are tons of posts on here and the propagation forum from others saying they did fine with just plain lights too rather than the grow lights, so I really don't think it's the type of light bulbs.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm sure it's because the plants are too far from the light.
I left the rocks in it and then put 4 inches of soil on that which was my first mistake. It is too far. I got some 16 oz styrofoam and did a few hostas in them and just set them on top of the dirt (You know, so I can kill the ones underneath them. ha
I wanted to see if that made the difference cause they are closer to the light.
We shall see

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

The distance from the light probably is a factor for seed germination .. but when I exchanged the blue cover from the greenhouse with a cream colored one, my plants stopped getting leggy.

X

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

With the greenhouse situation, it could be the total amount of light that's allowed through with blue vs cream rather than the actual colors...plus the blue shade cloth reflects blue light rather than letting it through, so that would actually be the opposite situation from a light source that emits blue light. I've seen enough posts from people saying that they have great luck with plain fluorescent lights and their seedlings that I really think it's the distance rather than the color.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I think you're right about the distance from the light. The light on the aquarium is probably 10 inches or so from the seeds. I've already planted them, so I guess spindly they will be. I think as they come up and I'm very very careful I may try to get them up higher to the light.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

In looking back at some pictures of the gh with the blue cloth, it definitely was darker in there. Not enough light.

X

Rockdale, TX

Hello neighbor. I have no idea where Gilmer is but I live between Austin and Bryan/College Station.
I also germinate my seeds but in a twenty gallon long. May I suggest you add more soil. Mine is about half full. Not only does this bring everything closer to the light but it also gives the roots more room thus a better root system.
Good luck and let me know if it works better for you.....Carol

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, I Gilmer is in East Texas , kind of between Tyler and Longview. I lived up there for a while and loved it . I loved just driving around. Scenery was so pretty, different from ours

I checked the aquarium today and a few hostas are coming up, but when I can get them out, I am going to put more dirt. I figure I can keep using it for a lilttle green house. There are a few other things coming up too. Wish I had thought about not being close to the light before.

Shelbyville, IN

After reading your posts about using an aquarium...I'm doing it now!! I started my seedlings using the baggie method. After they sprouted, put then in peat pellets. Put the peat pellets in a glass baking dish. (The baking dish is a saucer.) Then I raised the baking dish with some old plastic pots to bring the seedlings closer to the light. I figure as the seedlings grow taller I can bring then down from the light. I also have some maylar type cover so I used this to cover the whole aquarium. Hoping this will give the seedlings most of the light.

The next day a couple of my seedlings have their first set of leaves showing. I couldn't believe it!

Just wanted to say thank you for your ideas. And if you have any advice for dampening off..please let me know. Deb aka yellowtomatoe

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

If you don't givr them air and drainage they will drown. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.