Saving seeds in small bins that are closed

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I took some of my little plastic things I keep craft stuff and all in. I put seeds in all the little bins.
Now, what I need to know if can it stay closed or should I punch a couple holes so they'll get air.
Most of them are already real good and dry. This is my first year to save seeds till the next year.
I know some of the pros can help me!!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

If they are all good and dry, it's fine. If in doubt, throw in a few silica gel packs like you get in shoe boxes. If you don't have that, some rice tied in pantyhose toes is good too.

I keep mine in plastic bins, and they're fine.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Good tip melody thanks- rice tied in pantyhose toes. I use the legs to tie up plants and store bulbs.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

yeah, the problem is finding pantyhose anymore. I rarely wear them.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, at least that is one thing I do't have to do over.!! Since I haven't worn panyhose in forever, can I just put the rice in there by itself. Guess I could start tearing the house apart. How many of those sylica things laying around

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

just tie it in something breathable, net, used dryer sheet, thin cloth...

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Lorraine, I use baby wipe boxes. I have one for seed packets on the shelf and one in the fridge for seed packets that need the cold like anything that will reseed in the garden. BEV

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, aren't you just a smartie. Course all my wipe boxes are tied up with things I'm winter sowing. What to do, what to do,.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Go to the store and buy some more LOL Hi Lorraine! BEV

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

That's an idea and when someone asks why I'm buying so many, I can tell them I need them to store seeds and winter sow some seeds. Then I can listen to them whisper as I walk away with my little treasures!! ha ha

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Tell them that you have babies at home that you take care of. No lie!! TEE HEE BEV

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

You're right!!! And 2 of my grandkids are twins, so I would need a lot of them!!! I really am going to get some though. I've gotten obsessed with finding a way to keep seeds and keep the ones I've gotten in trades. No matter what I do, I'm always still going through trying to find the one I want!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.