Elderberries

Madison, WI

I'm thinking of growing some elderberries. Has anyone grown any? Can it tolerate shade? I was thinking of getting some from Jung, but their site says that it needs full sun, when I thought elderberries can tolerate some shade... Do I have to plant them side by side? Can I grow one on each side of the backyard??

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Mine were planted in full sun. As for growing on opposite sides of the backyard, it would depend on how far they would be from each other as they would need to pollinate each other. You need to buy the varieties that do that. My two were planted next to each other.

Madison, WI

Good to know - thanks! I think I'll have to be planting them side by side then, in a sunny part of the garden....

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Sundaisy, how many starts do you want? Do you insist on named cultivars or will you settle for what use to grow wild beside rural roadsides in central MO? I have lots I can give you. As for distance between the plants, I really don't know. But I can send you enough for postage returned to try both ways. Let me know.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Has anyone tasted elderberries?? I've only had it in wine format a while ago.. Can you eat that fresh like strawberries or need to bake it with sugar like currants??

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Fresh off the plant elderberries are quite bland. But when cooked, the juice strained off and a bit of lemon juice and some sweetener added the resulting syrup is delicious. Many make jams and jellies using pectin and LARGE amounts of sugar. Without all the sugar it doesn't set up and make jelly.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Oh.. Good thing I didn't order them then.. I like fresh fruit and wasn't sure if elderberries could be eaten fresh.. Thanks for the info..

Union Grove, AL

Very good thing as elderberries are mildly poisonous if eated raw, the cyanide type toxins are destroyed in cooking.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Oh... That is very very good to know.. Thanks for that very important info there..

Union Grove, AL

Much more likely to come back up before much harm done, however in jellies they are really wonderful, esp. 1/2 and 1/2 with sumac water, great on breads and meats, grows well in the shade here but produces few flowers for bread making and very little fruit.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes, elderberry jelly made with staghorn sumac is wonderful.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

na.. I like my berries fresh.. Think I'll stick with strawberries and blueberries. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.