Designing a streambed for roof runoff

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

I bought a copper rain chain to replace one of our downspouts, and hung it on a corner where the ground slopes down through a narrow (12') area between our garage and fence. Now I'd like to put in a water feature, but not your traditional pond. I envision a runoff channel that would be dry most of the time, but it would be like a mini-stream when rainwater is pouring off the roof. I want to direct the water down toward our neighbors' enormous spruce, about 25' away.

Can anyone give me any design ideas or practical tips on how to do this? Do I simply dig a ditch and throw in some pretty rocks? Or does it need a liner (old tires or something)? How would I make a little cascade? Keep in mind that the only time it rains very much is May-June. We get 11-12" of precip a year, which makes this a mountain desert.

This thread has 33 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!