If I have the lights, do I leave lid on

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I know this is nuts, but if I have my seeds under the flourescent lights, do I still leave the lids. on My common sense tells me yes, but when God was passing out the seed gene, he didn't give me one!! I have some in flats and some I put in other things to germinate

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I believe so...with the lid, you are trying to increase the humidity which makes it more favorable for seed sprouting...I think once the plants are up...they tend to hit the lid, and could possible rot the leaves, so then you would take off the lid.

Rj

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Once my seedlings have germinated, I generally start to wean them away from the lid/dome--if you leave the dome on too much once the seeds are up, it increases your chance of fungal growth. But the lights should be on as soon as you have anything coming up, and some seeds even need light to germinate so I generally have the lights and dome both there starting when I initially sow the seeds, then the dome gradually goes away once things have germinated.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I use large sheets of plastic that cover 6 flats at once, but once I see that the seeds have started to germinate, I remove the plastic right away, and just mist the seeds twice a day. I don't use lights, I start mine in a grhouse, so I don't know if the lights could dry out the seeds/soil faster. You do want a dryer environment for the seedlings once they have germinated though.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

If you've got more mist on the top of your domes than about the size of a quarter, then they need to at least be raised to let excess moisture out. Prop them up with a pencil or drinking straws. When the seeds start to germinate, then take them off.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I havae a lot in each flat germinating, but the others aren't. Should I go ahead and lift the dome a little. Also, I had a few that already have 4 or 5 leaves on them. I took them out of the flat and put them in a bigger pot, but left the plastic on, that's not right is it?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

That's fine, getting the bigger seedings out is good instinct.. Sometimes different varieties will have different germination times. I'd go ahead and prop up your lid, but keep an eye on your surface moisture.

Denham Springs, LA(Zone 8b)

(most) of my seedlings are started in the dark, in a plastic box on a heat mat. As soon as they sprout, I take them out and stick them under grow lights. I personally think they don't need the extra humidity or bottom heat after germination. I've never had a problem with mold or dampening off this way.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I've noticed that some of the ones that germinated a week or so ago are starting to look pitiful, should I take them out and put them in other pots, or just keep the lid propped where they are. I have taken a few that had 4 leaves and was way too tall

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I take mine out of the seed tray the first week of sprouting..
I think it depends on what your growing whether to use bottom heat or not. I do know that I get alot of things to sprout in 2 days with the bottom heat..- but I think they need to be removed right within 2 or 3 days of sprouting.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I noticed today about 60% of one of the flats are a couple inches tall and a few are just now popping off.
So just to make sure, do I leave the top off a little while each day now and keep increasing time till I take it off all together?
I'm going to take some of the ones that are a little tall so they don't hit the dome. I think I had the light too far away from them so lowered them and they are much closer.
I have some seeds I germinated in styrofoam cups, etc., and I put plastic bags, etc. over them to germinate. I do that when I winter sow them, but wasn't sure about inside

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I'd just take it off, but if you are unsure about doing so, just leave it propped up all of the time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.