What are you'll eating today ....

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Flowrlady is cooking up a big pot of ham and beans and it sounds mighty fine to me.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/807911/

My taste buds are just now coming back alive and I need ideas on what to cook. This is a picture of a pan of chicken and dressing I cooked some time back, but Eve, new Bully Mama, is getting all the turkey and broth that I had tucked away in the freezer so dressing is out.

Judy

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm off to make Italian Salad, just like Olive Garden Restaurant serves, and fry up some fritters, my body needs some grease. I've already made a thick Baked Potato Soup this morning so I might take part of that, add a little flour and onion to make fried potato pancakes.

I really messed up the topic of this thread, do you think that is why there haven't been any responses?? Or is it that you all aren't eating because most of you are sick.

Judy

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Part of what I cook this past week ....

Thursday I cooked a Quiche, a Mincemeat pie (added a can of Apple Pie mix to it to make it better) and with the leftover filling I made a bunt cake using a Pecan Flavored cake mix. I made a peach cobbler Tuesday night which Bob finished off for breakfast Thursday morning. On Monday I made a very large bread pudding with lemon sauce which he ate in 24 hours. Lord have mercy .... I haven't had a taste for anything BUT the Quiche.

I've been snorting and gargling salt water so it might have helped with being able to "taste" the quiche.

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

Judy nothing being cooked around here, I'm too busy coughing!! I'm proud you feel like cooking again, and I'm sure BD is also.

Ruth

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Ruth still got this dang fever, I can't get rid of it but decided to kick start myself and see if a new attitude wouldn't help me jump the hurdles and in the process get well.

From what I've been told the doctor's offices are packed to overflowing and I surely don't want to be around other sick people. BigDaddy went to the doctor on Monday to get his prescriptions refilled, his appointment was for 10, wasn't called until 11:30 then he sat in the examing room until after Noon waiting on the doctor.

I baked some small Yams and they are so good. I'm going to have to research Yams versus Sweet Potatoes. I thought they were the same just different names but now I'm beginning to doubt that.

Time to crank up the O'Brother dvd and see if I can't work up enough energy to walk the bullies.

Judy

Ripley, MS

I am still trying to stay on my "better eating program" I took some boneless chicken strips out of the freezer after church and cooked them. When they got nearly done I added some garlic powder and cumin and some salsa with the corn and black beans in it. Then I heated some tortillias and out a small amount of chees on them. They were pretty good.
I don't eat a lot of chicken as I don't really like it unless it is disguised pretty well, but this was a very good lunch.
Sandra

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Judy all you cook all the time i would like to be there or close to you's. I made potato soup for kids today.. I love sweet potatoes or yams which ever is. My husband loved the O' Brother movie. I love it kinda. I really love First wives Club the last song they dance to down the street, and been there about those husbands, might be another reason.lol.

sorry i got off track everyone.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Twyla, posting anything that pops into your head is not a problem with any thread I start. I liked that last song also.

Judy

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Just made grilled ham and cheese sandwiches. I wanted pork cutlets, DH wanted something quick so it was sandwiches.
Tomorrow night it is smothered Pork cutlets with Roasted new potatoes and asparagus. DH is wanting a Buttermilk Pie tomorrow.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

You know, I often buy the olive garden salad dressing, (it's the only way my DS will eat salad) but I needed some and was out and looked up copy cat recipes for that dressing. Boy they were off by a mile on the taste. Nothing beats the real thing. I'll go to olive garden just for the salad LOL

WE had meatball subs today with half venison and half ground round. They were good.

I have no idea what's on the menu tomorrow, I haven't been able to think that far ahead.

I do have this recipe for black bean and chorizo soup, that I'd like to try. But it's suppose to be spicey and my DD is very picky about meat eating. so, i'd hve to fix her something else.

Ripley, MS

Kathy Ann is DD finished with college now?
Sandra

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

No, she's in her second year. Got along ways to go yet LOL

Ripley, MS

She just had an extended vacation then huh?
Or is she staying at home this time?
Sandra

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Y'all must really like to cook if you plan your meals ahead of time! LOL As for me, I just wait till I'm hungry, ask DH if he is ready for something to eat(his stock answer is "I guess"--drives me crazy!!) and then I go look and see what's in the freezer. LOL
Of course, I usually have an idea in the back of my head of what's in the 'fridge and freezer and how long it will take to cook it, etc., so I am really not as unprepared as it may sound. My ideal life would be to have a live-in cook, though! LOL

DH has been on a sweet potato 'kick' lately. So we are having baked sweet potatoes 2 or 3 times a week. He'll probably get burned out on them soon and we'll go on to something else. Let me know if/when you find out the difference in sweet potatoes and yams, Judy. I would like to know.

Sandra, I like chicken just about any way there is to cook it. We don't eat a lot of beef around here but every so often I do get a craving for a good steak or a thick, juicy hamburger. Yummm!!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Teriyaki (or "Terry Yaki", if you ask my kids) marinated grilled chicken tonight, with the standard trimmings: baked beans, wheat rolls, and (I cheated) store-bought "loaded baked potato" salad, plus apple turnovers and vanilla ice cream for dessert.

I don't always fix a big spread, but on Monday nights I take food to a neighbor who's on bedrest for several more weeks, so I try to make it an extra-nice meal, then just double it and take her family half of what I fix ;o)

It looks like I'm also baking banana bread today. Our younger son called me yesterday afternoon and hinted that he really wanted another care package from home this week. (He's at school in Knoxville, and he loves being up there, but apparently misses my sweets and baked goods.) I've got three really ripe bananas just begging to become bread. I ran into oldest son at the grocery store this morning, and his eyes lit up when I mentioned dinner plans and banana bread, so I guess I'll divvy it into min-loaves and send a loaf home with him tonight, too.

Ripley, MS

Terrye, you have already been to the grocery this morning, you are quite the early bird. I have to get up and go myself.
I ask my hubby what he wanted me to get to eat this week--he is no help at all--whatever?????
If he was not out of lunch fixings I would not go till tomorrow--lol
Sandra

I grabbed a quick shower this morning before taking DD to school, dropped her off and headed to the store, completely makeup-less (scary!)

I knew if I came home first, I'd get busy with work (as it should be!), and the next thing you know I'd be late getting those chicken breasts marinating ;o)

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

She just got done f rom a month break over the holidays, but is back now, and yes, she's no longer living at the dorm. cost is way too high when she can drive daily l5 miles to and from. We got her a good car.

I would eat like that too sue if there were just me and DH First thing both kids say when they walk in the door is what's for supper,

tonight we're having white bean /chicken chili Just thought of it this morning at the grocery store LOL

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

DH and I just finished our main meal of the day. Being retired, we have the prerogative of eating when we want to. We went to Wal-Mart earilier and I picked up one of those Tyson Lemon-Pepper roasted chickens. Also, got some corn on the cob in the shuck and that was our lunch--Roasted chicken and corn-on-the-cob.
I know you are supposed to have a green veggie, too, but DH and I both take blood thinners. Green veggies are high in Vitamin K, which clots the blood, so we have to be careful about the amount of dark green leafy veggies that we eat. Also, I just wanted to tell you gals that if you have never cooked corn-on-the-cob in the shuck in the microwave, you don't know what you are missing. It's the very best corn, IMHO, that you can eat! Just cook it for 3 minutes per ear of corn. Delicious! The shuck will just come right off--silks, tassles and all--with no problem. Just be careful that you don't get a steam burn when pulling the shuck off.
I usually wrap the ear in a clean dish towel and pull the shuck off slowly.Happy eating!!

Ripley, MS

Terry, that is the thing to do, get out early and get through. I went and did a little shopping today.
Kathy Ann, I don't know why but I thought she was staying on campu--you know how confused I get sometimes--lol

Marsue, my sister makes corn that way, but I haven't tried it. She also cooks her yellow squash in the microwave. She puts a little butter on it and that is all I think.

I think we are eating hot dogs tonight--so very nutritious---
Sandra

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

that's ok Sandra, I'm confused all the time too LOL

That corn on the cob in the microwave sounds great. We use to get corn from the side of the road they had trucks all over the place that would have it for sale.

I never saw one truck last year. That's terrible, I was looking forward to some corn on the cob, I guess I could try growing my own this year.

I hate those earwigs that get inside the ears though.

I'm gonna have to try that with the corn though,

I just got done putting together the white bean chili, it made a big pot, so I suppose we'll have left overs tomorrow night.

We have n't been out to eat in 5 weeks now. I'm getting burnt out on cooking. But work is slow this time of year for DH so we don't, or rather he won't let us go out to eat LOL. Which is fine with me. Costs too much and we're never happy with what we get anyways.

I just got a recipe for this dill dip for veggies from that party I went to the other night. thought it was good so here's the recipe

1/2 c mayo
1/2 c sour cream
1 tbsp dill weed
1 tsp worcheshire sauce
l/2 tsp accent
1/2 tsp seasoning salt

she said it was too salty so you may want to cut down the seasoning salt I'm going to leave the accent out completely, and probably just season to taste with salt and pepper.

you could use fat free mayo and have a healthy low fat dip for veggies during theday. Sounds like a plan...

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

You can usually get corn in the shuck for about 25 cents per ear or less in the summertime, Kathy Ann. Today we had to pay 44 cents per ear for it, but it was worth it because sometimes you can't find it at all in the winter And if you microwave the corn, you certainly wouldn't have to worry about the earwigs surviving!! LOL That dip sounds good but I just usually use Ranch dressing if I want to dip my veggies in something. However, I think if I did make the dressing I would leave out the Accent, as well. Isn't Accent just MSG? A lot of people are allergic to MSG, I hear.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I try my best to stay away from msg too and yes accent is full of msg.

Someone asked me why I buy all the organic food I can at walmart. I told them it's not so much the organic part I was interested in, but the fact that there isn't any msg in organic products. So now I shop organic as much as they have it at walmart, cause it's easier than reading all the labels. You have to watch the spice mixes their full of msg too

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

My cutlets are on the counter ready to season.
The turnovers sound good. I have some apricots, maybe I will make some apricot turnovers.
We have a sick neighbor that is a good idea Terry, I need to take them dinner too.
Betty

Phoenix, AZ

Judy, I just heard a discussion about sweet potatoes and yams on the radio the other day. The guy explained that yams - so labeled in the grocery - are all sweet potatoes. Here's a link that spells it out: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-23-a.html

Today, I think I'll cook at Souper Salad! Seems like I've cooked every day for days on end now and I need a break. Last night, chili and cornbread; day before, chicken and dumplings made with store-bought gnocchi (a really easy shortcut); before that pulled pork with bourbon barbecue sauce and coleslaw. Now that was yummy! Having lunch with my granddaughter gives me a good excuse to eat out.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Chicken and dumplings are one of my favorites!!!

Judy

Ripley, MS

Jerry asked for some salisbury steaks, so I bought some and making English Peas and baked potatoes for supper
He wanted, hot dogs for one night, salisbury steaks for another night and sloppy joes.
Easy for me and pleases him.
He is getting tired of all our healthy eating--lol
Sandra

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I've had this hankering for sloppy joes. and I love salisbury steaks too

Ripley, MS

I like to eat them, but they disagree with me. I will probably eat them anyway since I am fixing them for him.
Do you make your sloopy joes from a canned sauce?
Sandra

HA! It must be a sloppy joe week: they're on tap for tomorrow night here.

Tonight is relatively healthy - Tilapia fillets and salad. Of course, the three-cheese pasta side dish isn't terribly healthy, but oh well ;o)

Ripley, MS

That sounds like something very good Terry, give us the recipe

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I usually use the canned stuff LOL I don't like manwhich it's a little on the sweet side. but never seem to make it quite as good the old fashioned way LOL

Ripley, MS

I read somewhere to add a can of tomato soup to make your own sloppy joes, that does not sound like it would be anywhere near the same as the canned sauce
Sandra

I'll let y'all know how the pasta is after I make it tonight ;o)

My Once-a-month cookbook has a pretty good (and simple) sloppy joe recipe:

1 pound ground beef
1/2-3/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 1/2 t. garlic salt (I replace this with a tablespoon or so of diced garlic)
1/8 t. pepper
1/2 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 T. white vinegar
1 T. mustard
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce

Sautee ground beef and onion; drain. Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered 10 minutes. You can serve immediately or cool and freeze. (Makes enough for 6 servings.)

Also, if I have it on hand, I will reduce the onion to 1/2 cup and use another 1/4 to 1/2 cup of diced green pepper.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Kathy Ann

This is the recipe I use to make the Olive Garden Italian Dressing

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1615,132179-250199,00.html

..... except I do not include the egg and I use a packet of the liquid pectin instead of the dry.

The Romano cheese is a must, it makes the dressing. It keeps for forever in the frig.

Judy

I use this dressing for 3 bean salad also.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

PS I use white vinegar

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks Judy, that's a far cry from the one I found which had mayo init. That one does sound delightful.

I like that sloppy joe recipe too.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Terry... that sounds like a recipe that I have made for years. I have long forgotten the exact measurements, I just add a shake of this and a Glug, Glug of that. LOL The only big difference in ingredients is that you use a can of Chicken Gumbo Soup instead of the Tomato sauce.

Tonight we are having
Burger Dippers ( Fat free dining at it's worst, LOL)

Grill or fry a hamburger pattie,
Spread two slices of Rye bread (per burger pattie) with Dijon Mustard
Place the grilled burger pattie on the Rye bread, top with a piece of swiss cheese.
Grill the sandwich (I use a Panini Grill, or a lightly buttered skillet) until the bread is browned and the cheese is melted. Slice in 2 or 3 "Finger" slices and serve with a dipping sauce made from Horseradish, Sour Cream and Cream Cheese.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Oh gosh, Got plenty? sounds like you may get a crowd for dinner LOL

sounds yummy !

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Betty, I'm going to try your dippers!!

Here is the salad I prepared to go with the Olive Garden Italian Dressing.

It's romaine lettuce, red onion, ripe olives, capers and feta cheese. We put the dressing on the serving instead of the total salad so that what isn't eaten can be put in a large zip loc container for another day. Those containers are excellent for storing salad.

Thumbnail by judycooksey

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.