How to sow Ceratostigma plumbaginoides?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I have some seed I can't find sowing instructions on because the traditional way to propagate it is through cuttings. But I have seed and I wondered if anybody nows how to sow it. I looked on Tom Clothiers site, and also JLHudson, but nothing was listed for this plant.

common name: Leadwort, Hardy Blue Plumbago
Latin Name: Ceratostigma plumbaginoides
Synonym: Plumbago larpentiae
Family: Plumbaginaceae

Note: It is NOT Cape Leadwort. Plumbago capensis Blue - Cape Leadwort

Thanks for any help,

Suzy

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Indoors
Pre-chill seeds 10-12 wks. before planting out.
Outdoors
Early spring, when soil is cool and a light frost is still possible.
Depth Just cover.
Germination
Time 30-90 days
Rquirements Place seeds together with moistened sand in a plastic bag, seal lightly, and refrigerate for 4-6 wks. Provide 60 thereafter.
Planting seedlings outdoors
Time early spring or early autumn.
Spacing 12-18"

There you go Suzy :) From "From Seed To Bloom" by Eileen Powell, I needed to look this one up too glad I did didn't know they needed prechilled!

This message was edited Jan 27, 2008 11:31 AM

Hey LeBug! Thanks! I guess I could have just asked on the thread. :)

So does this sound like a good candidate for wintersowing? I think it does.

Suzy

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Sure sounds like it, but I think I'll just keep mine in the fridge until about the last of FEB. before I sow mine.

In the fridge in their packets, or do you sow them in little pots and keep the pots in the refrigerator?

Suzy

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

I've never grown them before but it says to chill the seeds for 10-12 wks. and I have so many other seeds to sow I'm just keeping the packet in the fridge until I get ready to sow it. The pot in the fridge sounds good but no room in my fridge or you could use the baggie method, I'm trying that a little more this year. :)

Yeah, I'm not sure how much it counts to just put a pack of seeds in the fridge...I think they have to be moist. I got the idea from a guy in NZ who sends his seeds moist packed.

NOT one more thing will fit in my fridge, but of course I probaby could put some ziplocs in there. LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.