Is there a method to know how deep to plant

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm never sure how much dirt I should put on top of my seeds. Someone told me the rule of thumb was, as big as the seed is , that's how deep to plant them.
Is that about right, or is there something else.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

That's a pretty good estimate. When in doubt, shallower is better than deeper.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I hardly ever cover my seeds. I leave them on top of the soil and they germinate faster. i cover them with plastic to keep them moist and then when the majority have germinated then I remove the plastic and mist twice a day until they have all germinated. Before they have germinated, I uncover and mist once a day and then recover. I use warm water to mist to keep the soil temps up.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My rule of thumb is anything that needs light I surface sow just like tigerlily. If they need dark I sow like you do Lorainne. There are some excepts for some perennials that are not easy germinators.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I guess I should add that if they need dark conditions then I use black plastic garbage bags

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Ok, what needs dark. I always thought they all needed light. Boy, do I have a lot to learn. Is there a site somewhere that tells which plants need light to germinate and which needs dark.
I want ya'll to still be my friends, and I know I ask too many questions.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

there are not alot of seeds that need dark. Off the top of my head, two that do need dark are vinca and zinnias -also verbena

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

There are many germination guides out there by google. I use these if I'm unfamilar with the seed. They tell you if darkness if required.
http://tomclothier.hort.net/

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

i was under the impression dark meant the seed needed to be covered. light meant surface sow.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Tom DeBaggio said something in his "little book" that stuck with me... paraphrasing, he said that needing light doesn't mean that the seeds need a tan, LOL... according to him, plenty of light can get through a quarter inch covering of potting mix or vermiculite to stimulate germination. Still, since I generally cover my flats with a plastic dome or something similar before germination so I don't worry about seeds drying out, I do the same as many have suggested above... I just press most seeds into the surface of moist potting mix.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Do you use seed starter or potting soil? I've been buying the Jiffy stuff and it is twice the price of Miracle Gro.
I had used potting soil a few weeks ago for WS and they came up just as well as the other, so I've been mixing it. I just wanted to know what you guys use.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I mostly use Pro Mix BX, when I can get it (sometimes places carry it "seasonally"). If you want to lighten the mix, adding perlite is cheaper than buying seed starter mix in those little bags.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I use half and half milled sphganum moss and vermiculite. Then just lightly press the seeds in to the mix.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I use seed starting mix. But whatever you use, make sure it is sterile. Potting soil usually isn't. That's where most of your fungal problems come from

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

There's an article on the schedule for tomorrow about preventing damping-off (aka "sudden seedling death") that includes instructions on sterilizing potting mix.

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello all,
The link for Tom clothier posted above WAS EYE OPENING!! Read about his seed mix and what he says are problems of damping off and soil gnats!!
Dahlia thank you. i have added this site with all of it's infomation to my plant info bookmarks!!
This site is great.
Julie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.