Newbee question

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

I started some Pink Fuzzybean (Strophostylus umbellata) and Convolvulus seeds on 1-18-08. I used Jiffy pellets in a container then put in a zip lock bag. On 1-20-08 they had already sprouted. On 1-24-08 I put the pellets in 16oz cups. The fuzzybeans are already 5-6 inches and I am not sure what to do with them now. Should I thin them out (how)? Should I keep them under the light? Please help.

Betty

Thumbnail by tortoisekeeper
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

For the cups where you have a whole bunch of seedlings coming up all bunched together it definitely wouldn't hurt to thin them out. And you should definitely get them under some lights--it looks like some of them are already getting a bit leggy. They need lots of light--I usually leave mine on 16 hrs a day, and the lights should be no more than 3-4 inches above the top of the plants for best results.

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks Ecrane3. I do have them under lights. I will thin out the convolvulus. The fuzzybeans are vines so should they appear leggy? The color is much greener than they appear in the photo. I think they look that way because of the light being on when I took the photo. I usually keep the lights on about 12 hrs a day. I will increase the time the lights are on and put them a little closer to the plants.

Betty

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Even for vines I think yours still look a bit leggy--I look at the distance between sets of leaves and yours has a really large distance between the leaves that are there, which tells me they may be stretching toward the light. If the lights are more than 3-4 inches above the plants, they're really not doing the plants much good so I would definitely move them closer.

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks I have moved the light closer.

Betty

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.