Do hangapot hangers really work?

Kyle, TX

Somebody out there has to have tried the hangapot hanger clip. It looks great in the photos, I just want to hear from people who have actually used them. It allows you to hang terra cotta pots from the wall, from a wooden pole, from a lot of different places. The site is www.hangapot.com

Churubusco, IN(Zone 5b)

couldn't get the link to work

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

The link worked for me but I've never tried them. Looks very interesting.

Churubusco, IN(Zone 5b)

Got the link to work - haven't used them but they look interesting. I'll be watching to see what others might say.

Kyle, TX

Thanks, shelleydar and pirl, for the interest. I may just have to buy a couple and try them out since it looks like no one has tried them yet. They seem very interesting to me, too.

Seems like they'd need daily watering in Texas, even here in summer. We stayed in San Marcos for the two coldest iciest weeks they ever had, I'm sure, a few years ago.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have had some for about 3 years. I took the hangers off the fence once to re-stain the fence last year. I remove the pot, but not the hanger clip for the winter. I like them, very durable. The ones I have will only hold a terra cotta pot with the wide band.

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's another pic of the terra cotta pot hanger with the special clips.

Churubusco, IN(Zone 5b)

joannabannana, what a beautiful garden!!! I only have a garden that nice in my winter daydreams :)

Kyle, TX

Thank you, joannabanana, for the information. That'll be a big help to those of us who are interested but not quite sure how they work in real life. The clips help showcase your beautiful plants!

Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

I was thinking of asking the owner if he would give a discount to DG members - I met him at a garden show last year and spent a lot of time talking to him. I bought 50. We put some on Mom's wooden fence, but I really bought them to disguise the wooden poles that I use for my hanging pots:

Thumbnail by dbsmith2

Absolutely stunning!

Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

On the shorter post, you couldn't even tell there was anything but petunias. He is also talking to a distributor is Spain (I think his wife is Spanish) about getting those beautiful painted pots imported. The local president of the orchid society got a bunch of the hangers for his members at a big discount - that's what made me think about asking him about a DG deal.

Thumbnail by dbsmith2
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

What a great idea for the poles, dbsmith2! Thanks for the nice comments. It's hard to tell from the picture, but all the plantings along the fence on the hex stones are actually all container plantings. I started most from seed, but do jam in bedding plants as well. I'm changing that area in the spring & going to lift up the stones along the fence & create another flower bed, with a lot of roses, all the way to include the small Hawthorne tree.

Forgot to mention...the hanging clips can hold any size of terra cotta & max weight of 75 lbs. Calgary is very dry, so I lined the terra cotta pots with sphagnum moss, before planting. Seemed to work better than other years with no moss.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's another pic of my containers mixed with the flower bed

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Another

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's the clip

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

How it holds the pot

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

dbsmith2 omg... thank you very much for the picture... I was thinking of doing the same on mine two posts... looks great

Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

I wrote to him yesterday to ask for a DG discount. I'll let you know what he says.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If they aren't willing to offer a blanket DG discount, if there's enough interest in these and you wanted to host a co-op for them, they might consider doing a one-time discount on a large order.

Churubusco, IN(Zone 5b)

If they decide to offer a discount let me know what the cost will be. I would be interested in a few if the price is right.

Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

I haven't heard from him yet - I'll post here first when I do. Co-op huh? I have to finish up Faraway Flowers, help Moodene with the Texas Waterlilies, then figure out what I'm doing with hoyas and plumerias. I'm really hoping for a discount and he ships.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Then tell him that! LOL I want some of those thingies! And that pic of those poles is just gorgeous! Thanks so much for the idea!

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

When I was on the arts and crafts circuit, I cut out very similiar pot hangers out with a scroll saw. Most shows had someone selling them for a few bucks each. They cost almost nothing to make and take, with a machine, only a minute or two to saw out. A hand fret or coping saw works fine too. I drilled a hole at the top to hang them but it would be easy enough to screw in inexpensive wall mounts. I made some which held 4 pots on each side of a board but most were singles.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

David could you give us a rough darawing of the hanger you made? thanks Cindy

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Riverland....I'm looking for a pattern on the net and haven't found one yet. Might have one I can scan in an old pattern book (I tossed many of them away). Now that I"m gardening and not traveling the circuit, I wish I had my saw (hand saws are, as I said, fine. But with a professional saw, you can turn out very detailed work in minutes). There are lots of old victorian patterns for plant holders available. Some are amazingly elaborate. The gravity holders are very, very simple however. It was something dealers did to have on hand for a bad show, so we could sell something for a buck or two to get our rent back (I did see many people however who made these holders a major part of their lines)

If I find a pattern, I'll post it. I could wing it by drawing a pattern but the angle is the key. The hook has to catch the pot just right or it won't hang true.

Update: Checked my library and I don't have a pattern. Now I'm wondering if I ever did. Think I bought a holder from a dealer at an arts and craft show and traced it. I did make hundreds of them. Its been a decade since I was on the circuit so perhaps dealers aren't carry them as much as they used to but for years I never went to a show without seeing someone there with them.

This message was edited Jan 29, 2008 9:02 PM

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

joannabanana, They need to make a deal with you to use your photoson their site. They are much better than anything they are using now!

Jacumba, CA(Zone 8b)

I would be interested if there's a co-op on these.
Karen

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks Zanymuse. I'm not sure if my hangers are identical to the one on the mentioned website, but I think they are. I had bought a bag of 10 @ a Home & Garden Show a few years ago. I don't think it was more than $20 for 10 clips.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Looking at the pictures they look the same except maybe the color. But in your pictures I liked the effect they had and on their pictures it just looks like someone threw a bunch of pots on a wall out of boredom!

Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

I haven't heard anything yet - writing again today.

Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

Good news - I got an email and they are interested. I tried to call Ralph today, ended up leaving a message. I will call again tomorrow. I'm hoping for a big discount, which I will announce here and on the co-op forum. Then they can take a classified ad. Stay tuned for more details.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

yeah... please let us know what you find out

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Fabulous! Thanks so much for working on this for all of us!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Waiting to Hear. Cindy

Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

He called today from somewhere in NY. Could only make out every other word - I think he's calling me tomorrow, at least something is happening tomorrow....
I got an email - he will call tonight or tomorrow.

This message was edited Feb 5, 2008 6:54 PM

Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

I have not forgotten. They must be very busy, but I am persistant with both emails and phone calls. I'll let you know.

Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

I just spoke with Ralph. First of all, if you send him a picture of your hangapot application and your address, you get 4 free hangers!!!
On to the info. He will ship free to me. Ugh...cause then I get to repack. He'll sell them for 1.75 per hanger under a total order of 1000. If we get over 1000, he'll sell them for 1.50 each. They come in bags of 2, so you have to order even numbers. I'm not sure the best method for shipping, or the cost. I'm going to throw this up on the co-op site as an interest thread and see what happens.
Here's the link: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/813423/

This message was edited Feb 13, 2008 5:29 PM

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I'll ask here rather than the co-op thread...

Quoting from the web site:

Quoting:
Wrought Iron, Lattice, Trellis & Chain Link -- The easiest way to install Hang-A-Pot on these materials is by using self-locking nylon ties (called "cable ties" or "tie wraps"), which are available in the electrical section of your local hardware or home improvement store. Copper wire can also be used. For wrought iron, be sure to affix the ties or wire at the intersection of the horizontal and vertical sections.

Do you think this same method would work to attach them to a porch railing? The railing is vinyl, so I don't want to drill into it. Thank you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.