Hindu Rope

Louisville, KY

Hello! Has anyone had any luck propagating Hindu Rope? My cuttings are just sitting there. A couple of them already rotted. I have seen pics of beautiful hanging baskets. I wish mine would just grow!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

forevereden; I was given a small basket cutting of Hindu Rope, las summer. Like Hoya, these seems to root readily during the warmer weather. I use well drainage potting medium for these type of plants too, they're prone to rot if overwatered. I keep my Hoya, and Hindu Rope under canopy shade outdoor. Overwintering them indoor. They don't require any direct light, and thriving.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I thought Hindu rope was a Hoya? I haven't had any luck propagating mine, either - frankly, I think the whole thing might be plastic, lol. Hasn't moved a leaf!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Cat, it may as well be, lol. I haven't looked them up. But I think you're right. Nah, plastics floral arrangement has its own slot in the storage bin. My living plants deserve their own places in the living areas. lol.
Kim

Louisville, KY

The problem I see with this plant is getting any new growth to appear from the original cutting. It seems like the only growth is going to come up from the base. One of mine started to do that but the new piece rotted. I think I messed up by I had a long piece and I cut several cuttings from a long piece....the fact that the cutting was cut on the top and the bottom.....the bottom rooted, but the top doesn't have anywhere to grow because I chopped it. Seems like it would shoot out another side branch or something. This one is by far the hardest to get going I think. I just want one of those crazy 10 foot hanging baskets I have seen pics of one day! I even tried leaf cuttings and a few rotted. Some rooted but no new growth. Lily_love ---is your growing good? or slower than trying to wait for the Heinz 57 to come out? - Darn plant...Thanks!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

forevereden; from what I've observed, most tropical plants growth is slowing down during the winter months (especially in our zones, yours and mine). Mine are slow growing, it appears healthy. The basket, a small one was a gift last Fall. It was new cuttings then, and in matter of weeks they apparently took roots as evidence that they didn't wilt. But no new growths are expected, until early spring, I'm sure.

Louisville, KY

Cool thanks

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ditto that, over and out.
Happy gardening.
Kim

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Copy that. Catch you on the flip side.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

forevereden,

Yes! They are S-L-O-W........
The main thing to remember with cuttings from any kind of succulent is to leave the cutting out on a table for 2-3 days so the cut can scab over. If you stick it in dirt right away, they might just rot. Maybe that is what happened to yours.

I also have a 6"HB of a Hoya Hindu Rope-the variegated one. I like these better. Can't say it is doing anything interesting.....:0(..Just existing....

You can find a good sized one of these at HD sometimes. Mostly the green ones, though.

Gita

Louisville, KY

thanks, i have never seen the green ones. neat. I have 9 plants/cuttings left. I think the leaf cuttings will end up dead too because they are just there. doing nothing. just a leaf with a heck of a root. odd lil thing.
come on spring~!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.