Old-Fashioned Names for Flowers

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I bought some QAL seeds . My DH loves them as well think it was something in a Dylan song...

lol at the stinky cheese

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

You actually paid money for QAL seeds?

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

To think I've been throwing all that money onto the burn pile. sheesh.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

LOL! That's what I was thinking...paying for QAL seeds.

How about the "Naked Lady in the Bathtub"? Or Maybe just "Lady in the Bathtub"? My kids loved those...

It is the old fashioned bleeding heart. If you turn the heart upside down, and pull the halves of the heart apart a little, you see a naked lady in the bathtub.

Suzy

edited because I forgot you might have to pull the halves of the heart apart, or maybe that makes her get out of the bathtub, now I forget. :)

This message was edited Jan 25, 2008 11:59 PM

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

I didn't know that. I'm going to have to check that one out. rofl

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Everyone
As a new bride my mother in law gave me 'mother in law's' tongue.
named so because of its sharpness (sansevieria trifasciata) (snake plant)

PrimroseS - I just left the prettiest little book on the recycle rack. It was a small craft book on making nosegays (tussie mussies) and it contained all the old fashioned names for the tiny flowers. I wish I still had it - I would have sent it to you. If it is still there when I go back - I'll grab it and D-mail you.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi, I believe there are two types of Queen Anne's lace. The one we normally consider an invasive ditch weed and one that is not. They look very similar, but I think the one that's not invasive has a flatter top and the one we consider a weed is more domed... They may both stink for all I know, but they are still very pretty. :)

Diann

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Suzy, that sounds like fun - like we have nothing better to do with our time than play with our flowers!!!

Thanks for the thought, M.R., my address is in the exchange if you retrieve the book.

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

ooo, and don't forget that good old standby - Black-Eyed Susans! We have a LOT more plants with names like this than I realized! And it's very interesting to read what they're called in other countries. Thanks for starting this P-Sue!!

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

The cheese you mentioned is called 'Hoop Cheese' here in the south. A few of the little country stores that sell fresh veggies/fruits still have the cheese. I always liked the red rind better. The black rind was more bitter to me. I am addicted to that stuff and have been trying heard to do without on my diet! ;( My gramma used the cheese to make her mac & cheese too.
Is the Michaelmas daisy from the aster family?
I had something come up in my back yard last year from seeds that I threw out of the seed box. It was so stinky, it may have been QAL. I never let it get to the stage of blooming, I threw it all in the burn pile. Guess my neighbors thought I was growing weeds instead of flowers! lol

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Will catch up later have to go do boring grocery shopping etc.

Heres one for you ..Russian vine aka silver lace vine aka mile a minute vine aka Lemon lace- Fallopia baldschuanica aka Polygonum aubertii

Love the comments here http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/gqt/fsheets/20_01_02/fsheetsq7.shtml

especially this bit

Whenever I hear about the Russian vine I think of a story told to me by a lady who used to open her garden occasionally for charity. They had this huge Russian vine, and they decided on this particular occasion to cut it back. When they finally got through to the heart of it they found an old lost wheelbarrow, several footballs, and a hungry, slightly bewildered member of the public who'd gone missing the day before!

Thumbnail by fleurone
Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Oooh, I'll never get one. I have this bushy thing that came with the property, tiny white flowers, not fragrant. Don't think it's a spirea; I remember my grandma had one in her yard. No idea of the name, but I'll photo it this Spring for ID.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

I just remembered about 'Bouncing Bet', or 'Soapwort' for Saponaria officinalis. I like them, but they just self-seed everywhere!

Thumbnail by PrimroseSue

Sue, I have a lot of seed for those Bouncing Bets I just got this year -- are they scented? They looik like they shoudl be...I just love it! Hopefully I still will love it after it reseeds, right?

S

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

I agree Suzy if it's not fragrant it should be, that is so pretty.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

I have to make note that the photo is not mine, it came from the PlantFiles.

Yes, if I remember correctly, they are fragrant.

who-ooo! They just *look* fragrant....and so cottagey in a messy kind of way.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm beginning to like that cottagey look, might have to do my front garden that way and my DGD's too. At least one of her gardens.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Guess that's why you're on this forum, huh, Robyn?

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

I confess, it is. I have a clean slate to work with, so this should be fun.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Best decision you'll ever make!

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I'd have to agree :) I'm planning on taking out all the grass in our small front yard and turning it over completely to a Cottage Garden this year!!

Mr. Clean is getting a little sick of all the seeds and lists everywhere, so he wanted me to tell you all that he is going to host a Lawn Mower Blade Swap. Ah, maybe it isn't as funny to you as I thought it was, but I thought it was hysterically funny. He is going to do a google search for a Lawn Mower Blade Society.

Does that lead to you believe we have Turf Wars every year? If so, yes, you're right. It's always a fight to get more ground for flowers!

Suzy

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

If he like to mow that much, he can come and do mine. But he cuts one flowers and he will be in a world of hurt.

We have no problems here when it comes to flowers, more flowers less to mow.

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Does he compete in Lawn Mower Races??

LOL! Good one -- I'll tell him you asked, Dryad -- although it's probably like dogs & horses -- ya got the race, then the dressage, then I'm sure there is something for the eveness and quality of the cut, like the beauty pagent part of dog shows. :)

There is apparently an invisible line that goes straight up from the grass edge all the way to heaven, I think. Any and all flowers over that invisible line are subect to blades of all kinds....it's quite sad. He must have liked the Nasturtiums last year, though, because he didn't run those over, even though in some places they came out 3 feet over the grass.

I finished 3 boxes tonight -- they are ready to mail +/-

(They have to be weighed, and then postage figured out - there are sometimes bonuses for doing it online, like free del confirmation, but only if it goes priority -- well, you don't care, but it is a judgement call on each box/envie, depending on weight.)

I'm holding them all so I can get them out the same day.

Szuy

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Boy, it's a good thing you stopped, Suzy! At that hour of the morning, you couldn't even spell your name straight!

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

LOL - I have run into the "flower vs. grass" issue MANY times with clients. I think (and I'm not intending to insult anyone here) that grass is a "guy thing" - I can't count the numbers of times the female half of the team laments how the male half "accidentally" mows too close to things! And Grass Guys are VERY picky about how it looks, how the water runs off after a rain, what the edging looks like, how it appears around their trees - oh, you name it! My conjecture is that the Grass Guys truly believe that it is easier to maintain a lawn than a perennial bed (which we know isn't true) - and then there's the added peer pressure from all the neighbors' lawns. Almost like they're not a "manly man" if they don't have a vivid green swath of turf.....

And, having the added benefit of having met Mr. Clean, and seeing all the stuff Suzy didn't want me to take pictures of - I gotta admit I ROTFLMBO when I read that!! It still makes me giggle :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.