Can you use to big of a pot?

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Someone was talking about not repotting to, to big of a pot. Why would that be a problem? I'm going from seed germination in wet paper towels to 4 inch pots. Even if they were even bigger pots I don't see why it would be a problem. I sow some seeds directly in the ground, no pot there. It works. LOL.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The reason you don't want to put things in too big of a pot is that if you have a big giant pot and your plant has little teensy roots, the roots can't take up anywhere near the amount of water that's sitting in the potting mix, so the roots end up staying wet for longer than is really good for them. If you're careful with the watering you can potentially do OK even if your pot's a bit too big, but it makes it that much easier to overwater things (and it's not that hard to overwater in the first place!) Water movement works differently in a garden bed than it does in a pot, so you can plant things in the ground and not run into these problems.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

That makes sense and yes I have over watered. I'm always a little paraniod that I'm letting the seedlings dry out to much. I've done that too. Seedlings are very unforgiving to lack of water. Seeds seem like a simply thing but they aren't. If you you start them outside who knows what's going to happen and if you start them inside under control conditions all sorts of things can happen.

Other side of that is I get seeds for plants I really can't buy locally and if I mail order them one plant cost as much as all my supplies and all the postage I paid for my seeds. I don't do veggies but that may be on the list next year. Also I recieved some seeds that are very hard to find, if you even could buy them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.