First true leaves curling under

Winnetka, IL

Help! All my seeds were progressing beautifully, but yesterday they all started curling under at the tip of the leaves. ??? No change in water or temp. I have been using diluted H2O2 for watering, but that has been increasing good growth across the board.
Fungus? Virus? Water/temp/fert?

Eastlake, OH(Zone 5a)

Sounds like your getting damping off. Are you using just water or adding something to it? H202 diluted? What is that? Use just warm water with a misting bottle. Once seeds gemrinate. make sure they go under grow lights. Remove any plastic wrap or a dome.

Winnetka, IL

I've been using a dilute solution of water and Hydrogen Dioxide. These seedlings are uncovered and right next to grow lights. Here's a pic:

Thumbnail by plantaholic186
Winnetka, IL

Clarification: the pic is of curling cotelydons of broccoli, no true leaves yet. Other seedlings have the same curling, but on true leaves.
Is damping off different than the stems shriveling?

Eastlake, OH(Zone 5a)

Your seedlings look fine right now. Damping off will cause the plant to die imediatly. Just give the seedlings air circulation with a gentle fan. Don't alow the soil to become wet, meaning for a long time. Here is some information on damping off. Let us know how you are doing.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG1167.html

Winnetka, IL

Ironsides, thanks for the link!
Yes, this is definitely not damping off.

I've been having fungus problems with seeds, as well, but thanks to the link I know how dry I can let the soil get- thanks again!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Plantaholic, that in one LONG stem on the seedling in that photo....has nothing to do with your curled leaf symptoms, but those plants need to be closer to the light source (bulbs). What is that long white thing sticking out of the pot next to the brocccoli? Is that what's preventing those lights to be over (and close to) the seedlings?

Suzy

Winnetka, IL

Suzy- I guess I need to get more lights! The broccoli and some others that I've potted up are next to lights that are over flats. I'm also guessing that the lights are too far up from the flats, since that seedling got that tall in the flat.
The white thing is a plastic fork that I used as a label. I'm still experimenting with different labeling techniques.
Thanks for the advice.

Eastlake, OH(Zone 5a)

Plantaholic,
Try keeping the lights about 3 inches from your seedlings right now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.