NorCal Pottery Outlet in San Leandro is closing

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

Right now 30% off their already discounted prices. They are closing the whole shotin' match at the end of February and will be operating just from the So Cal facility.
2091 Williams St
San Leandro, CA 94577
(510) 895-5966
http://davesgarden.com/products/go/view/4237/
They do now take credit cards. 10-3 T-F & 9-3 Sat
Here is a shot of my $90 buy.

Thumbnail by PotEmUp
Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

That is fantastic for $90 - crazy good, which I could make that sale !!!!

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Nice haul George! Bet you will have those filled in no time. Karen & I tried to go there after the Castro Valley RU a couple of years ago but we got lost (what a story that is, lol) and when we finally got there, they were locking the gates. :~(
Sorry to know I won't get to shop there. Why are they closing, do you know? I can't imagine it was from lack of business, I have heard too much about them to think that.
Donna

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

I contacted them once and they said the SoCal location was wholesale only. Did they mention whether that would change?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I may have to wander over there--I was planning on heading over that way this weekend anyway to hit Nordstrom Rack and a mosaic supply place in Oakland, so if it's not raining too hard I may stop by and see what I can find!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

George, how do you find out about all these sales? Fess up!!

Liz, what kind of mosaics are you doing?

My cheap pot place on E 14th was sold and now too $$$ and another one that had really nice fancy pots on Lewelling closed. But I did see one on E.14th across from the Bali theater before Christmas. I need to go check it out.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm going to try my hand at tempered glass mosaics...I was inspired by deviant_deziner's latest thread on the Garden Design forum where she's doing a big tempered glass mosaic as part of her display for the SF garden show http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/803136/ Mosaic Studio Supply in Oakland says on their website that they have kits so you can play with this on the small scale, so I'm going to get one of those and see if I can do it or not!

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

I got the email today George, surprised me but it just mentioned the sale. I had heard somewhere they were closing.

Thanks for that thread Liz, I haven't checked that thread in a while so missed what Michelle has been up to, will have to catch up now.

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

Last Saturday I went to Annie's for my "Free" plant. Only cost me $35. I decided to try NorCal on the way home and like Donna, I pulled up just as they were closing the gates at 3 on Saturday. I had a lull today and got a wild hair to run up there. The lady that works the yard was chattier than usual and shared that they were closing. No mention if the So Cal would have an outlet. The San Leandro is wholesale only, except for the seconds in the outlet.
If you are going - 880 to Marina, West. 1st cross street is Merced, Right on Merced (North) it will T at Williams. Left of Williams and the outlet is on the left just before the Railroad crossing (can you spell that without any R's?)
Prices are not very clearly marked, but I think larger loads get added up a bit light when they are doing the tally. Now they take 30%off that total.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL. Sounds like me. I do not think I have ever saved even a penny at any sale.

So how was Annies, George? Was there much stuff?

Gosh, today was downright cold. I have been sick so I have not been out of this house for days and days. I went out today to empty my car from plants I bought about 10 days ago. I so hope we do not get a frost. I have not been hit with one yet this winter but the rain is starting to rot somethings. It is the rain with the cold that so sucks.

I was talking to Marilyn today and am going to go to Berk Bot soon. Remember all the fun we had there?

I have been wanting to do broken pottery tables tops. I should look at mosaics. Thanks Liz. Though by the time you get done, or at least I get done, I always realize I should just have bought a finished piece for what seemed so $$$$ but by the time I finish buying all I need to make it, cheaper and better result just to buy it already done. I saw some great ones at the Alameda Antique show last summer.

Sue, what have you been up to? Are you still working? I haven't seen you around other than posting that photo of that weird plant from the Conservatory. LOL. I remember how it took me about 3 hours to ID that one a couple of years ago. I looked at so many pictures trying to find it.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

George--I'm very impressed with your willpower--I guarantee if I had gone to Annie's, my free plant would have cost me at least $100!

Kell--I can't believe how much better your weather must be than mine! I've woken up to frost many, many mornings, and at least 5 nights where it got down to 26-27 degrees. Nothing as bad as last winter's cold snap, but still plenty cold. I need to move closer to the Bay! I do hope it stops raining though--I still haven't planted my Happy Chappy's. I was going to do it last weekend, but then I got lazy and figured I'd do it this weekend, but now it's going to rain so I'll probably put it off yet again!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Liz, I have petunias still all green! And even a few coleus that are limping along (looking very bad but still alive) and those are usually the first to go. I also have rex begonias with a good amount of leaves still on sitting out in the open. There is a reason I have stayed in this place for so long.

Hey Liz, you found the Happy Chappy's, great!

Yeah, Kell, I am still working part time and last Friday they called me and asked me to stay on permanently for just 6-8 hrs a week. Better than nothing I guess.
And thanks for doing that research leg work on that plant, I never did find the name when I first took that shot so when I saw your entries, I remembered that I had a picture of it too.

It's so cold, I open the door for my doggies to go out back, they just stand there looking at me like 'Are you kidding?!', I have to pick them both up and carry them out. Even then, they stand there, look at me again and run back inside. I have a large pee pad by the back door now LOL

yeah, you are in a good spot by being closer to the water.
I have most of my begonias still outside, survival of the fittest, and it's amazing how well they are doing too. Last year I thought I had lost two that were in big pots. They both came back, just took them a while to appear again but they came back just as big. They are showing just a little frost damage on the leaf edges now. I do worry more about the continued rains now, looks like we are getting one storm after another for a while.

I wanted to go look at the pots today, I could use a couple more big ones for roses but thought better of it! Yikes, lost of rain on the way!

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

I give up. What's a Happy Chappy?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It's a groundcover rose...I had posted on the rose forum a while back asking for opinions on it, and Kell and Sue (among others) were helping me out.

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks. You won't believe the things that Google gave me. Phew!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I can imagine! LOL

LOL, poor George! Now if you had just searched in the plant files, by cultivar name, you would have had only one hit.

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

Yeah, but that takes all of the excitement out of life. Much more fun to stumble onto other items with similar names. How did I know it was a plant? It coulda been the (other) perfect man.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

See Sue, they could not operate without you!! That gives you some spending money and so little taxes will be taken out. You should have said NO! So sad too bad for you!

I went by Nor Cal today coincidently and it was closed. They do not open when it is raining.

My Mom and I finally got there today, definitely worth the trip, they have tons of pots, all shapes, sizes and colors!
This was $84 worth, 12 pots total plus that huge urn. We are going back for more of those large ones, they are tall and deep, the two the same in this shot. Marked at $10 and then 30% off.
Excuse the hose, too tired to make fancy pictures.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

The urn is huge and gorgeous and with the discount .......$28

10 month old Kasey looking for something to get into, as only she can!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

I did do a mixture of glazed and unglazed but all in complimenting warm tones

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

some with subtle tasteful designs

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Did I mention that I love this gorgeous urn?!!!
The green bowl on the left will be planted with succulents.

Ahh, poor cold & wind damaged banana! Still have to clean up the fallen oranges too, got that white bucket full.

This message was edited Jan 29, 2008 3:30 PM

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

oh nice take - I cannot get over the prices !!! I adore the urn.

**Kasey just might be the cutest doggy I'ver ever seen, she doesn't even look real !

Oh she is Tracy! She's my little terror terrior, although right now she is tucked up under my chin sound asleep! Here she is on the right, with her visiting half sister in the middle and my other dog 3 yr. old Penny on the left. Kasey will eventually be much lighter, like her sister but with more reddish brown.

Kell, they had a lot of those heavy duty Vietnamese pots too, all sizes and colors, you should get thee fast. a couple of older ladies were there filling up their carts and one said she will have to go into therapy once the place closes, she will miss it so much.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh Sue, I rather have one of your dogs there. SO CUTE!!! I love them. Of course I have met Penny in person and wanted her so much then. A real doll baby. One of these days Tom will let me get a little dog. I just have to get in control of my life first.

So Kasey is bigger than her lighter sister? Hard to pick which I want of those 2. LOL How much do they weigh?

I went by Norcal yesterday and they were closed!!! And it was sunny so I am so shocked they were open today. I have no room for more pots. And then you get the pots and then you want the new plants to go in them. LOL

I do need maybe 3 huge ones for my new bamboo. But no one helps you at Norcal to get them into your car. A big problem when you want real big ones. I went to OSH after Norcal was closed yesterday and they are getting their pots in too. I saw a HUGE square heavy clay pot for only $40 that I may go back and get 3 or 4 of them. Only 1 would fit into the back of my car they are so big. It would be nice if I had some continuity in my pots. Too late for that but I can try a bit. LOL

Ahh, you must have missed the hours they are open that George wrote in the first post! I am going back again with my Mom for more, I'll let you know when in case you want to meet us there. I can help load into your car.

Kasey is slightly longer in body than her older sister and has slightly shorter legs. Her sister Sasha is just the petitest little thing. She just stayed with us for a weekend when her owners were out of town. I haven't weighed Kasey in a while, she won't hold still long enough LOL but I am guessing maybe 5.5 lbs. She's very light weight still, small looking. As she matures, she'll start filling out body wise just a bit now, she won't get any bigger in size.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

So did the 3 dogs go nuts all together? LOL. They are so mini. A mini army of trouble. LOL

I went by Norcal today. Twice. LOL. My back is gone. I went for the gaud, as usual. I bought lime green pots and bright blue. And a glossy orange tinged brown. They didn't really have ones for my bamboo. Well I got 2 for bamboo. But not huge huge ones. Which is just as good for I came home emptied one lot out and hid them, then went back for more. I left thoae in my car and of course Tom saw them. He said what is with all these new pots??? I told him Norcal was closing for good and he CHEERED!! LOL

Let me know when you do go. Maybe we can do lunch and a nursery or 2 also

Quoting:
he CHEERED!!

Sheesh, he just doesn't understand! They are CLOSING as in it's so sad.

Ok, I'll let you know.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Sue, now that I look at your urn again, I saw it today at Evergreen Nursery for $149.00.

We should warn people that all the new, more exciting stock is one of a kind samples. So you can't really get even 2 in the same color. And still lots of seconds. Beware of hairline cracks! Look all around each pot so when you get home you are not disappointed by a huge gash or side chip.

$149, I believe it! Can you believe $28?!!

Oh yeah, I inspect them quite thoroughly and decide what flaws I can live with, cracks are a no-no.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

What a great deal but none there today. I bet it was 1 of kind.

Did you see the ones with the holes on the side? I thought of Candy's succulent one from a few years ago. But I really didn't love the ones today.

I really wanted 5 pots, about a 5 gallon size but squatter. I have them lining a little path to my gate. I put coleus in them. I wanted to upgrade to something gaudy. I was dreaming of lime green ones. But no way they had 5 of any good ones.

I was also looking for one to crack open. I saw some great ones in LA 2 years ago that were broken pots that had a whole succulent garden in them. I should go look for a pic of them. I loved them. I think I may go look those pictures and get a pot to break. I wonder how you can do it in a controlled manner.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Not bad. I went right to them almost. And these were taken 2.5 years ago. I am so organized. LOL

They looked better in person. LOL

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

OK, I am done talking to myself. Time for bed.

Thumbnail by Kell

oh, gorgeous succulents! My pots need freshing up and dividing. They don't stay that nice looking for long.
I am bookmarking/tagging those two images..

Night...I am going cross eyed!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

"I'm done talking to myself" lol too funny! I love the cracked succulent pots, how fantastic.... shoot, shouldn't throw out anything I guess. I'll be keeping those images as well, just beautiful.

I am slightly nauseous that I am missing this sale, can't get over those prices. You should all go back today. Are there any other places that have prices even close (as I know these are extra % discount because of the store closing) ???

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.