White Ginger

Washington, DC(Zone 6b)

I'm starting a garden on my roof and a friend gave me some White Ginger, Hedychium coronarium. I have brought it in for the winter to a slightly warmer location and it is starting to die back. If it doesn't die completely back should I cut it back in the spring? Any suggestions on growing this plant in a container would be helpful.

mike

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Somewhere around here is a pretty good on growing gingers. I almost tried one last year, but it never happened, so I'm afraid that I'm of no help here.

If I find the thread that I was thinking of, I'll post the link here. It was from a different forum.

Washington, DC(Zone 6b)

Thanks wrightie,
I did find something that says to cut the stalks back after the flowers have bloomed. I do have a question for you though. How did you add other website links, Birthday information and Zone 7a to your members page. It really helps me when I know the persons plant zone when reading what they have to say.

Washington, DC(Zone 6b)

Found It. I listed my area as a Zone 6 only because my plants are growing up on a roof and they get a lot of wind; not much shelter up there.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Mike, have you checked the PlantFiles for Hedychium coronarium http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1297/? Although most of the people who have posted comments garden in a warmer zone, maybe the information might be helpful. The only thing I know about them is to treat them like you would a banana growing in a container. Non-hardy bananas are usually cut back when you bring them inside and should be kept in a cool basement or even a garage as long as they don't freeze. It's normal for them to be "sleeping" this time of the year - just be prepared in spring, they grow fast and you'll need a LARGE container. In a couple of years you'll probably have a tough time dragging it off the roof! LOL

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Sorry - mine have been in the ground for almost 2 years...not sure about the roof-top thing...sounds like it'll be beautiful thought come spring/summer!!!

Washington, DC(Zone 6b)

Thanks for all the good advice everyone! I cut mine back late winter and divided them into three pots from the original one in March. Not kidding when I say these things out grow their pot, it has more then doubled in size from last season. Some Calla Lilies are growing with them and seem to be doing well too. I am waiting to see more of the flower and whether it is fragrant before trying to determine which one I have.

Thumbnail by wayfarers

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.