Need a good place to order heat mats, etc

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I saw about a million places to order mats and lighting, and thought ya'll might know a good place so I don't over pay, etc.

Also, don't laugh, but would a heating pad or electric blanket work if you set it low? Since I've never actually seen a heating mat, I don't know what they look like.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It's not a good idea to use heating pads or electric blankets for this purpose, they're not designed to be used in areas where there's moisture so you're risking fires, electrocution, etc. I'd spend the $30 and get a heat mat that was designed for plants instead. I got mine at a local hardware/garden center, and I think during some times of year Walmart even carries them, that's probably where you'd find the best price. I know Gardeners' Supply carries them and they're definitely a good company, but you may find better prices elsewhere on the same heating mats.

North Hills, CA

Heating mats now have a 2 hour cutoff timer.You have to turn them on every 2 hours.They are also set for 100 degrees when on low-too hot to use without messing with them.
I couldn't find any without the timer-even the $15.-$20. cheep ones at Wallmart,Wallgreens,Save on etc.
A lot had a foam pad in the cover for MOIST HEAT.You wet the pad then put the cover on ...
Can't just put them on a timer to turn them back on.You have to physically push the on button.
I wouldn't use a blanket for reasons stated above.
I can't find anyone here that sells seed heat mats.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I knew I saw a good place before.. I found it!!!

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10052&storeId=10001&langId=-1&division=FarmTek&productId=226279

edited to add.... this is a little larger scale than I thought...

This message was edited Jan 24, 2008 9:18 AM

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

Lorraine, Lee Valley Tools has mats for sale, reasonally priced. $25 to $30. also there are heat cables that are cheaper. if I knew what you're using it for. the cables might be the way to go. I use both the mats and cables. I make a box the size of one of those seed flat greenhouses and put the mat in that. then I set trays with seeds to germinate. in my greenhouse, I use the cables, I make a flat about 2 times the size of the GH trays and put 1/4 minus rocks from a gravel supply about 1 inch deep. that keeps a temperature about 10% warmer than the outside air. then I root cuttings in prepared media that sit on top of that. Jim

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

Actually Park's Seeds has the mats fairly reasonably priced. Haven't checked out what their shipping charges are, tho. I bought most of mine from Farmtek; at the time (2 yrs ago), their price for 3 was the best I could find.

Eastlake, OH(Zone 5a)

If you order the heat mat, make sure you order the temperature control also. Not all seeds germinate at the same temperature. By controling the heat, you will have much better germination.

"Stay Happy and Keep Gardening"

Waxhaw, NC

I came across a complete setup at Lowes that had the peat pellets, tray, dome, and heatingpad all for around $32

Johns Island, SC

But what Ironsides said, ncdirtdigger. Most of the all-in-one kits that I've seen have a pre-set temp for the heat mat (and they vary!). If you're going to invest in a heat mat, get one that allows you to set the temp of the mat that you need to germinate the specific seeds you're starting. Otherwise, it's a hit-or-miss proposition and really only useful for seeds that require that particular temp to germinate...

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi, someone here told me about the little greenhouse things at Harbour freight. I went there and ordered some and I wanted to thank you, but forgot your name.
Also, they are on sale now for 6.95

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

The ones at Harbor Freight that have the heat mat are 19.99. They call it a "Mini Dome Hot House", comes with a tray, 50-cell insert, dome and heat mat. Can't beat the price! If these are the HydroFarm heat mats, the small ones work well even without a controller. I ordered some, but haven't gotten them yet, so not sure who makes these.

They also have a little bitty "greenhouse" that's just a small shelf unit with a plastic cover that's 6.99.

woofie, $20 is a great price. is the heat mat the same as the one that is sold for around $30? Jim

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

Don't know that yet, but I'll post that information when I get mine. Harbor Freight is a bit slow shipping. I have no idea how long that sale price is good, tho.

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

I got myself a very heavy duty heating mat with frame at Brew & Grow. The mat cost $75.95, but it holds 4 flats so I considered it to be quite a deal. I got a thermostat for it as well, but I can't figure out how to use the probe (dumb me). It looks like a suction cup when I thought it should be a stake or something. Anyone have any idea how to use this? I use cell flats, and if I need to bury it in the soil I will have to sacrifice one of the cells.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

My probe had a suction cup that turned out to slide up and down, maybe to attach it to the side of a pot or something... I just slid it up out of the way. The probe itself was shaped like a good-n-plenty candy. If your probe is a disc, yes, you might have to sacrifice a cell.

The information and links in this article on heat mats & alternatives might be useful: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/556/

Thank you! That is EXACTLY the thermostat I have, and after checking the suction cup does indeed slide right off, leaving a "good 'n plenty" probe.

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

I posted this information on another thread, but I think it bears repeating. Regarding the heat mat thermostats, they tell you you can use the thermostat with multiple heat mats. That may work if they're all the same size, but it doesn't seem to work if you try to mix different size mats with the same controller. When I tried it, some got way too hot and the others were too cool. And the combination was well within the wattage limit. So, I dunno. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had luck using more than one mat with the thermostat.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Somebody -- probably you! -- did post that information on one of the discussion threads under the article. Have you been able to check with a thermometer to see if the temp differences are predictable? You might be able to use it to your advantage, to keep one mat at 70 and one at 80 for example, providing ideal germination temps for two different types of seeds.

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

The mats got so hot that I got concerned and turned everything off. I can't remember now if it was the small ones or the big one (I think it was the small ones) that got too hot. The difference was pretty dramatic and I didn't want to risk burning something out.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Good thinking... I guess you could puzzle it out with electrical circuit diagrams, but the answer still might be that there's no easy way to use the controller on multiple mats of different sizes (which probably have different electrical resistances).

Eastlake, OH(Zone 5a)

Using thermostat with your heat mats will increase your germination. But make sure you use the same size heat mats. Just bury the probe in one of the cells and it will work just fine. The whole idea of temperature control is that not all seeds germinate at the same temperature.

"Stay Happy and Keep Gardening!"

Zarebeth, if you want to vary the temp. try raising the seed flatabove the heat mat. I use baking cookie racks, the one that you cool then on ( i can't think of the name). but theyr'e about the size of the mini greenhouse flat. I've even used the plastic trays that bird suet comes in. single or double wide. then I put a aquarium thermometer in the media to check temps. and raise or lower according to the temp you want. for seeds. I hope this might help you, Jim

Yeah, I got the one that comes in a "cage" of sorts, and I do have cookie racks as well. I am just not sure if I can use them with the propogators I have since they have a reservoir on the bottom, or if I will just use cell packs in a flat. Probably the cell packs, although I guess I could figure out a way (tin foil?) to seal off the bottom of the cells, then once they sprout I can remove the foil and put them on the capillary mat and reservoir.

Zarebeth, I think I know what you're talking about, with the capillary mat. I found it to be more trouble than it was worth. are you germinating something that doesn't like to dry out between watering? and likes a high humidity? I'm not trying to discourage you. but I'm not sure of what you're trying to do. I do a lot of my germinating in clear plastic clamshell boxes that you would get in your local bakery. I fill the bottom of the shell with media, then sow the seed sprinkle with water and set it on the mat or above, depending on the temp. requirements, then after they sprout and send up their true leaves I start leaving the box open until they are used to the outside air. and then pot them up. Jim

I travel a lot with my job, and am frequently gone for a week at a time. DB does his best, but frankly I do not trust him to remember to water properly and the capillary mats in the propagators allow me to water on the weekend and forget them until I come back. I also have had really excellent luck germinating even the trickiest seeds with them. But I don't think they will work with the heating mat if I have the reservoir on the bottom - the heat would have to go through the water and the styrofoam base to get to the soil! So I think I will probably just use standard 6-pack flats with the heater, unless I can figure out a way to get by using the cell portion of the propogator until the babies have sprouted. I mainly use the APS units from Gardener's supply, but I have a few from Lee Valley and I ordered a new type from Vesey's this year.

The Lee Valley ones are the nicest - good and sturdy, and they clean up really well, but they have gone up 25% since last year and they were already lots more expensive at the old price - now they are just way too spendy for my taste.

Zarebeth, now I can see your point, good luck with you seedlings, Jim

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Didn't read your thread, but you could look at Sky Craft parts. I ordered a dog heat mat, but you have to put your own plug that has some sort of heat settings on it because it gets very hot. It doesn't come with a plug at all, so you can't use it till you do. Several people on here are using them and love them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.