I need someone to help me with urban legends

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Guess I should say, Gardening legends.
I was reading some gardening newsletter or something and it warned against using things you couldn't see through, ie styrofoam, cool whip cont.
and just generally those types things.
I know that can't be right, especially since most of my seedlings are in styrofoam cups. I know we've talked about it on this forum. The article said they wouldn't get enough light, but don't you think the openings on top are enough. I know they are wrong, but just needed the posse to tell me so

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It depends on where you're putting the styrofoam cup...if you've got the plant's roots in it then you're fine, the roots don't need light. But if you're using it over top of seedlings as a little mini-greenhouse/dome or something (which may be what they were referring to), then you are blocking light from the plant. Basically the leaves need light and the roots don't, so as long as you follow that rule of thumb you should be OK.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm putting holes in the bottom, putting the soil stuff in, and leaving a couple inches, put saran wrap over the top and punch holes. I put them where they get plenty of light. Not much actual sun, but plenty of light

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Then you're doing it right as long as the plastic wrap is an inch or so from the soil. It doesn't need to touch the soil, your baby plants will have no where to grow if it does. I've used such containers in a similar manner for years. Just take off the plastic wrap when the plants sprout. all it's for is to conserve humidity for the seeds.

The only thing is, some plants require light to germinate, which means you don't cover the seeds with the soil mix.

Most plants require more light than just a windowsill to grow properly after they have sprouted though, it's probably my least favorable place to grow young plants.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I have wintersowed most of everything, but I did leave some of the flats inside on a desk in front of a window.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.