If I start veg. seeds earlier than suggested, what happns?

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

I'm trying to grow some veg. plants for my church/community garden. I want the plants to be very nice-sized when the time comes to 'present' them. If I start, say, a hot pepper 10-12 weeks before last freeze, instead of 4-6 wks, will that mess up the maturity- I mean, if it's supposed to mature in 70 days, and we haven't had that much hot weather by the time the 70 days comes around, will it just mature later, or will I just get crappy yield? I've never planted veg. before, just ornamentals!
(I have a fair nbr of lighted plant shelves/space)

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Nurseries start and grow plants all the time in Green houses.
With the proper conditions you can even grow plants all the way to harvest and reap a nice crop -- all indoors -- if the conditions are right.

If you've got what it takes, then by all means start them real early.

You may be surprised though how quickly those small plants take off, and may not be neccessary to start so early.

So, under the currect condtions you will get a nice head start.

Sorry to ignore your post. Thanks for the shout-out earlier. Got my attention. :^)

Good luck.

Greenville, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi,
What vegies were you thinking of planting earlier? Peppers and tomatoes like warm weather. If you plant the tomato plants in the garden too early and it's still wet or you get a lot of rain, your chances of diseases increase. If you do start tomato seeds, when they get a little bigger, I put a low speed rotating fan on them so they get stronger stems and grow better. If you start melons early, they grow like weeds, and will be way too big. Hope this helps.
Joann
ps I'm a newbie so didn't see your post until today

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the help! I'm growing tomatoes, hot and sweet peppers, onions, cucumbers, tomatillos, and some herbs. The community garden resides in the middle of a mostly Latino population in Omaha, so the pastor wanted to stick to things common in Mexican foods. (I let him pick the veggies, as I had no idea!)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.