Beans in the Diet

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

We used to eat more beans in our diet then currently do, now only about once a week.

But I was reading up on the health benefits of having them in your diet. My relatives swear they couldn't eat them because of the gas effect (and having mostly boys in the family they think that would compound the problem lol). Read this on another website forum. What do you make of it's accuracy or not?

One person says a meal of beans and rice would:

Quoting:
would have me blasting like a Civil War canon. I'm talking flatulence of the upholstery ripping variety!

A reply to that:

Quoting:
That's because you have a damaged system. Too many years of a too-little-fiber diet does that to you. Give yourself 3-6 months and you'll adjust.

Right now, you've been eating so much fatty protein (meat and dairy) and so many processed foods (pre-made bread, store-bought breakfast cereal), that your system is over-compensating by spawning an over-abundance of digestive bacteria. This leads to shortened life spans, early onset of diabetes and heart disease and plenty of other problems. It's like advancing the ignition timing of a car whose fuel system is too rich - it makes things work for today, but leads to problems later. And, like the car, when you first fix the basic problem (lousy diet), it will take time to get the rest of the body back in tune. But the result will be 10-15 years more life.

This thread has 53 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!