Want to have a fit.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Has anybody successfully germinated Confederate Rose seeds. I have tried several times and several different ways with no luck. This is one of my favorite shrubs and maybe that why I can't get them too germinate. I want them too so bad, they being stubburn or something. Saying, hahahha ya can'tt get me.

If you have a way that works, sure would love to hear abotu it and give your method a try.

Denham Springs, LA(Zone 8b)

Actually I've heard the confederate rose roots fairly easily if you wanted to propagate with a cutting.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Kalika... Thnaks for the information. I have a couple of young plants, but haven't tried to take cuttings of of them yet. Think I might give it a try. I got all thes e lovely seed here and want to use them for my project and they want to be stubburn, either that or maybe they indimidate d by all the other seed aroudn them germinating. Whatevr their problem I wish they would tell me about it, so I can grow em out. : )

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

try putting them in a baggie with a damp paper towel or peat moss for a couple of months in refrigerator. they may need a cold stratifying.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Use a cutting. That's how people do it.

You sure your seeds are good? Break one apart and see if there is something in it.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've had pretty good luck winter sowing Rose of Sharon, so cold stratification may be the way to go.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Starlight, I'm starting to find out a lot of seeds need to be in the fridge a few weeks before you sow them, I have some CR I'm going to try and do this year too but I have them in the fridge and won't plant them until around the first of April. I've never sown any before either. I'm hoping you get more info. on sowing the seeds on here I'll be watching ;-) They do reseed I've heard so maybe they do need cold stratification?

Critter I sowed my Rose of Sharon under lights last year and they did fine, they germainated in about three weeks but I had the seeds in the fridge before I planted them.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

This is from the plantfiles written by:
On Apr 1, 2006, Leilani0927 from Slidell, LA wrote:
To start from seed, simply place seeds on top of potting soil in a container with a saucer. Place in full sun, keep very moist, and stand back. Seedlings will bloom in two years (here) if kept in pots until they are about 4' tall and protected in winter from freezing.

I hope we don’t have to wait for two years for them to bloom because they aren’t hardy for my zone.

Here are a couple of links but to me they say about the same thing:

http://www.reimerseeds.com/confederate-rose-flowers.aspx

Couldn't get the other link to copy so here it is from Farm & Garden:

Germination OR Cuttings
Seeds should be soaked before they will germinate due to the hard seed coat. Scarification – nicking the seed coat with a sharp knife – will also help allow the water to penetrate. Once the seeds are ready, place them in a bowl with very hot water (Not boiling! No more than 190F). Use a large amount of water so it won’t cool off before the seed coat has time to soften enough to allow germination. Leave the seeds in the water over night.

Plant the seeds 1/16” (1.5cm) deep in sterile seed starting medium in February/March. Germination takes 7-14 days at 70-75°F (20-25°C). Once the seedlings are large enough to handle, transplant them into 3” pots. Gradually acclimatize them to outdoor conditions and plant them in late spring after all danger of frost has passed.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I think the freeze-thaw of winter sowing may take the place of scarification. So, if you don't WS or cold treat to weaken the seed coat, then nicking/soaking might be something to try (just as with morning glory and similar seeds with hard coats).

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Len.. I didn't try just the damp paper towel in fridge. I did try putting in some peat moss in 6 packs, planted the seeds , put in baggy and left in fridge for 6 months. Had to watch cuz I would sometimes grab them 6 packs instead of my 6 packs of choclate pudding I had in there with them. Nothign like a little bit of dirt with your dinner. LOL

Core... These seeds are teeny tiny, but took yoru advice and cut one. they hard and look good inside. Almost sliced my finger in hal;f doing it, but good to know the seed not rotten inside.

Critter.. I haven't tried winter sowing them outside yet. May try that with some too. I have problems with tryign to wintersow down here because of wild cats that come to the yard to hunt for my lizards and turtles and they will get up in aroudn the pots if the critters hiding there and then my biggest problem is the darn squirrels. They bring alot of joy watchign them play and they eat most of the hickory nuts so at least all I havign to ccompost is the shells, but they go and have to bury hickory and oak nut in all my pots . In th espring I wil spend weeks goign around tryign to pull huge hickory taprooted seedlings out of my flower pots. My squirrels to lazy to dig a hoel in the yard and they got oddles of yard to play in.

If I put anykind of bulbs in pots they munch. One season, I had waited forver to finally be able to get a bunch of Black widow Iris rhizomes. Cost me a foprtune and they was not even as big as your pinky. I put them in pots on my porch by my door and them fool squirrels got up on the porch, ate my expsensive bulbs and left hickory nuts in the pots to cover up there dirty work. I was crying and laughing at the same time.

Lebug... I did this. On Apr 1, 2006, Leilani0927 from Slidell, LA wrote:
To start from seed, simply place seeds on top of potting soil in a container with a saucer. Place in full sun, keep very moist, and stand back. Seedlings will bloom in two years (here) if kept in pots until they are about 4' tall and protected in winter from freezing.

I don't mind waiting a few years for somethign to bloom. Have lots of stuf f that takes that amount of time. I woudl be patient for bloom if I could just get seed to germinate and I know it has to be me, cuz I have seed of the same plant from different sources and can't get the first one even to pop its head out.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

2 years from winter sown seed.

You can do it!

:-)

Thumbnail by critterologist
Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

I had some success last year with scratching the seeds and then soaking them overnight.

Blackshear, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi Starlight, I have recently put many seeds in two pots, a 1 1/2 month ago. They took a long time to germinate, half of the seeds I did plant. I kept the soil moist and here is the results. They are in full sun in the gh. André

Thumbnail by Smegtone
Blackshear, GA(Zone 8a)

Last year I planted this one. It grew slowly outside and brought it in the gh. It is about 4' tall now.

Thumbnail by Smegtone
Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Critter.. Oh ya, place a nice pretty picture up there. Your torchering me. LOL

Blue eyes.. How did you scratch all them tiny seeds? These Confederate Rose seeds I got look like teeny tiny ticks with the seed and the tiny furry thing attached to it. Scarried the daylights out of me when i first got the package and opened it up.

Andre... Did you cover the pots at all, did ya bury them or top sow and what temp ya keeping at them in your greenhouse?

Oh, I want babies growing in a pot like that!!!!!!! Gimmee. Gimmee. Gimme... (sigh) beautiful green babies!!!!!! Wonder if I print that pic and put it by my seeds they would get jealous and be a copy cat. : )

Blackshear, GA(Zone 8a)

Laughing...Ok, I used good potting mix, added the seeds as they were, added about 1/4" of the same soil over. Kept the soil moist. The temp. was about 85 in daytime. If you are patient, wait and yours will germinate. I did not cover the pots.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I am not torturing you -- I am encouraging you! LOL

If you do not have any luck with your seeds, Dmail me this spring. I have a couple of pots with winter sown seedlings from last year, and I put more than one in each pot. If they make it through the winter, I can probably manage to separate an extra one for you... But I don't think you'll need it, because I think you'll get these seeds to grow!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Andre.. Look at that seedling, standing nice and tall and green. You so bad!!!!! LOL ; )

Critter... Thanks for the offer. Keep your fingers, toes and garden hoes crossed that I get some germinated. Gonna go through and try some of everybodys ideas and then i gonna act like I don't like them no more and want to get rid of them and maybe that will do the trick. Although with the way my luck goes sometimes, be my luck that they woudl finally germinate and since I acted like I didn't liek them they would hitch their pots up and us ethem newly developed roots to hitch a ride to somebody elses yard. : )

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
2 years from winter sown seed.

You can do it!

It took me two years for some of my hardy hibiscus to flower. It was a really dry year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.