How to anchor my containers

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

Where I live there are high winds during the winter. I plan to plant the bottoms of plastic kitty litter containers with seeds. I read one woman drove stakes into her containers to hold them down. Good idea, what kind of stakes? I thought of building little chicken wire fences pack full of containers; that should hold them.
Please make some suggestions. It is going to be about 15 degrees tonight and 12 tomorrow night; then it will surge into the daytime 40s. That's when I can go outside to put the plastic bag ws containers and the others that I will come up with. I can't wait.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Lots of very inventive folks on the threads here suggest using cardboard boxes, which are working for me. Small fencing has also been mentioned as well as plastic crates. I put mine nearer the house which helps as well.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Plastic crates will hold up longer than cardboard boxes. I wedge mine between lawn furniture and some are close to the house, which helps to block the wind.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Sterilite containers work well. This will be the 3rd winter for mine.

Karen

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

I think that the thought about cardboard is exactly that. They break down over the winter and can be composted or used in lasagna beds...kind of recycling without having to take them somewhere else. They also hold enough water to keep things from drying out, but also don't hold enough to rot the seeds.
Actually there seem to be many great ways to contain your containers. Someone suggested buying the busted up plastic ones for cheap since they already have 'drainage' holes in them, lol! Smart and very inventive folks on this forum:-)) Was that idea yours, Karen? My problem with sterilite containers is that my DH tends to either use them for his own purposes, or put them into the back hole of the attic. Things disappear in there and are never seen again, LOL!

(Patti) Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

Bump

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.