how far north can you grow pecans?

waldoboro, ME

has anyone has success with them in zone 5b-6a new england?

Orwell, VT

I've planted two grafted pecans and four seedlings over the past two years. I do know of a pecan tree in a neighboring town that is rather large. Pecans seem to be hardy enough but the length of the growing season and cooler summers are the reasons that nuts aren't produced. I'm planting my pecans with thoughts of the future. What type of climate will we have in a few decades? My feeling is that with climate change these trees might stand a good chance of producing viable nuts and can be a source of food for people and animals.

David

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

They grow wild here in NW Missouri. My uncle had a pecan farm in Dover, Missouri years ago.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I have a pecan tree here that is probably over 100 years old.. and I know in that period of time it has withstood some really cold temperatures. I have about 20 smaller trees on my farm that I believe were probably seeded from that very tree.

The nuts that my trees produce are very small. Which I believe has naturally given them a better chance to fill out and mature? That is my theory anyway. They have a wonderful flavor, and it has been said that northern pecans have more natural oil than their southern cousins.

Most growers in my area graft different cultivars onto the native rootstock for a little bit larger pecan, and also for better pollination as the male and female part of the flower bloom at different times. Having a few different cultivars with different bloom times should help.

Hope I didn't get off your original subject too much.. I do love my trees.

I realize when you look at my zone, I think it says I am 6b. I live on top of a hill , get an incredible wind here.. and really think I have my own little microclimate.

Do you know your soil type? Isn't New England a little on the rocky side?

Argyle, TX(Zone 7b)

Hi Kathyjo, yours says zone 6a under your name and no, you are not off the subject. I always find good information when I run into a forum that you are in.

David, that could be a good idea as it seems that alot of things including climates getting warmer, have been changing alot over the last century, take care,
Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.