Zanthxoylum odurum

Bonduel, WI(Zone 4b)

Anyone familiar with propagating this wonderful tree used in Bonsai? I've never had luck with this.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Huh - I tried to Google it but didn't come up with any hits - is there a common name?

But I guess that answers you question from this quarter - no, I have no idea! But there are a lot of people with experience in taking cuttings from woody plants if you have a plant to cut from...

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

There are a couple letters flipped around in the name...I think the correct spelling is Zanthoxylum. I still don't know anything about the tree, but at least that should help in the googling. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Zanthoxylum

Bonduel, WI(Zone 4b)

Woops, I sure did type it in wrong! Dislexia...
Actually, I propagate a lot of woodies, but this one is real stubborn! I guess that's why it's not real common. It's my favorite little tree out of about 25 varieties. The shape is perfect and foliage smells heavenly! I bought it a few years ago from Robs' Violet Barn. Maybe I'll try to contact him.

Ahh.... the difficult ones are always the prized ones, eh? >smile

Bonduel, WI(Zone 4b)

Yeah, typical of life in general! It's human nature to try to harness all things utterly wonderful, but I'm a bit relieved, actually that some things are just not meant to be, and ya know? It's really OK.

>smile<

That's cool.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.