Does anyone have the new Acer palmatum 'Shirazz'?

I am looking for the new Acer palmatum 'Shirazz' recently introduced from New Zealand. Does anyone have it yet and where have you gotten it? It is very limited!

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

This is a new tree as you stated.... It also known as Gwen Rose Delight from Duncan & Davies in New Zealand. It is newly patented. Buying a tree with no background even from a reputable propagator is a bit dicey... I personally would wait a few years.by then it will be obvious whether this is the next " best japanese maple ever" or just another nice Jm finding it's place amounst thousands of other such trees..Sounds alot like a Butterfly with alledgely better heat resistance ...we'll see...Many new cultivars come out each year rarely are they much differnt than tried and true varieties... Also there is no info I could find on cold hardiness you are in zone 5 unless you plan to containerize it which... with the price you will pay ( VERY HIGH ) and the size it will be ( very small)..... is a VERY wise idea!!!!! david
see below

http://www.willowaynurseries.com/pics.htm

Danville, IN

I planted a Shirazz this summer in my landscape. I have a small landscaping business and one of the local wholesale nurseries got a shipment in early last summer (about 15 potted, 4'+ plants). To say they "caused a stir" would be an understatement! I bought five right off the truck and used four in jobs (retail cost about $275 @). They are absolutely beautiful. They look like they're blooming, the coloration is so vivid. Of course, this winter we'll see the hardiness. I used them on jobs that the client was willing to be charged less, with the understanding that I wasn't sure of hardiness (it was a mutually-agreed experiment), although all the sources I could find said hardy to Zone 5, at least. They are planted in different exposures, so I'm anxiously awaiting spring (and summer to see how they hold up once they were planted). This winter we've had some below zero temps, but lots of needed rain and snow.
If they do prove hardy, they will certainly take the Japanese maple world by storm. I don't have any photos, but they do take your breath away. There are some good pics on the internet. Google it. They make a tri-color beech look bad.
I'll let you know how these do this spring.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Hoosier Green - very interested to hear how the Shirazz made out over the winter. I heard about this on a local gardening radio show last weekend and have been investigating it on the web. They had great things to say on the radio and if it makes a tri-color beech look bad I'm interested. I just have to find a place away from my TC beech to plant it.

Winnetka, IL

Hey, you're mean! Yet another difficult to find JM that I desperately want! Although, one of the google hits was a commercial plant grower that listed my two fave nurseries as vendors, so I think I'll call their woody buyers and see what I can manage.
Maybe as penance you could help figure out where in the heck I can plant it? : )

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Plantaholic - I also found the plantsthatwork.com site (they were interviewed on the radio show) and several nurseries here deal with them. I plan to call one as well. Seeing the potential price, and knowing the nursery I'll go to, this one will be expensive!! Hopefully not the $275 that Hoosier mentions. Might have to call my friend growing up who is now a large scale landscaper to get his discount on this one. This one might depend on a large tax return.

Winnetka, IL

LOL I hear you!

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I again will post ...if you got alot of money to "possibly" waist burning a hole in your pocket...go for it ...Persoanally buying a relativly new extreemly high cost cultivar with no history in your area (and I am speaking to those folks that have been pining over this cultivar living in non JM friendly places that have been posting here ) is if not folly at least impusive. What it will look like in your area may and probably wont look like it will in a JM perfect area. It's sort of like buying an expensive car that just comes out with no real reviews or history behind it ...NOT often a good idea..not a great anology but you get my point. david

Winnetka, IL

David, I would never expect an unproved plant to survive. Even things like Daphne 'Carol Mackie', which are sold like candy here, never make it, or require a lot of coddling. And anyone who's ever grown anything other than a 'Bloodgood' in this area knows it's a dicey proposition. But thanks for the counsel.

Danville, IN

I'll be sure to keep all JM lovers posted with lots of info this spring and summer regarding the new 'Shirazz'. I agree with myersphcf that all new cultivars should be "tested before invested", but oh, this one is lovely! I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Since this winter has been relatively normal, with lows into the single digits, I'm hoping it survives to prove its hardiness here, Zone 5b. I've got mine planted on the southwest corner of my sunroom, where it will receive afternoon shade from some mature ashes to the west of it, but will get strong midday sun for a few hours (recommended for best coloration). It's also planted near a downspout, so it will get plenty of moisture, although I've planted it high, mounding the area for good drainage. We'll see what happens, and I'll be sure to include pics with the info. The other four I've planted for clients are in a variety of exposures, so I'll be able to make some good comparisons and recommendations. We'll know in April.

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Saw eight of these priced at $300 today at a local garden center. These were in the size of 3-4 feet tall and upright form, apparently growing into a weeper eventually. I was told that this was all they would get this year, and that they had sold 2 earlier this week. They likely won't last long. There were no leaves budded out yet. So tempting, but was hoping to find them cheaper! I was told they were sold by "Carolina Nursery", which carried the "Plants that Work" logo.

Laura

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

If these trees are in fact unique and hardy ( this has not been proven ) they will be widly grafted and available for a fraction of that price in a couple of years..You better be darn sure or have alot of money burning in your pocket to take a chance on one with kjust one or two ooowwwing reports at that price unless of course you plan to graft it and make your money back many times over...but that is sort of risky if the tree does not turn into a pancia which I highly doubt it will...you could be stuck with a bunch of nice but not high value grafts... but likely could pay for the tree if not your time and trouble ;>) David

Danville, IN

Not even buds swelling yet here in Central Indiana, but it's early. I'm itching to see how my 'Shirazz' leafs out, but that will not be for another five to six weeks. It was a beauty last year. I can understand the excitement of obtaining one, and David is correct that it might come down in price in a few years, but then some other cultivars that are outstanding seem to remain pricey, so...?

Not planning on buying this year....for the reasons you noted! Thought others might be more interested than I at having one right away and therefore might want to go looking fairly soon, however! If they are still there when I go back in a week or two and have leaves, I will try and get some pictures.

Laura

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Yah the mid west weather is HORRIBLE not a crocus snow drop or any sign of spring ...It's been cold for 3 months no jan thaw ( but no super cold ..it's been like the 80's but no 15-20 below weather ..but a crud load of single digit nights a few below zero and a ton of teen to low 20's days ..etc) just constant cold a... 40-50 degree day is like nirvana seldom does it appear..
.I would say we would need 3+weeks of 40+ weather to start bud swell unless we have another disasterous spring whhere it pops up to 70-80 for three weeks ...The spring before last with a "normal spring and a above normal warmer winter we did not get bud swell till the first week in April which is perfecto!!!! I would say if you tree leafs out in March you'll be moving in and out alot if containerized ..if planted YIKES..best bet is to have it start the first week in April or so ...Wishing for stuff to come out early is not a wise wish around here even if cabin feaver has set in...even with containers it is trouble constantly protecting said plants If your Shibass is an early leafer that is NOT a good sign either at least for our zones... late leafing trees are always a blessing in the mid west..David

A couple of my JMs are showing bud swell already, but not all. It's still early days though.

My Dogwood is getting ready, and we already have some purple plums and blooming pears beginning to bud out.

Laura

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Well for you laura I would think now is about right ...you might even be a little late this year...yes ...march leafing in VA is pretty normal from what I understand but I guess it depends on which part as we all know a few hundred miles , hills, mts, ocean all make a big differnce david

Things usually start going gangbusters about the end of the month or first week of April. Fingers crossed for steady weather.

Laura

Walhalla, SC

Looks like my nursery will be getting some soon. I suppose they will be around 300 bucks but probably worth it. I'll wait and see just how spectacular it is into summer before I take the plunge though.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

HoosierGreen - Is there any update on Shirazz? If they haven't leafed out yet does it look like any branches died? Just curious.

Danville, IN

It's springlike here, finally. Temps in the 50s and grass is getting green. The only "happenings" are snowdrops, hellebores, and crocus. Red, sugar, and silver maple tree buds are swelling, but no bud swelling on any of the Japanese maples yet. The Shirazz looks just great though. No white die back twigs. I feel like I'm awaiting the birth of a child!

Danville, IN

Here's a shot of my Shirazz this afternoon. Good looking twigs, eh? I probably will have to do a little shape-up pruning after it leafs out. Coming from the nursery, they alway need some cleaning up.

Thumbnail by HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

Oops! Forgot to rotate. This is easier to view.

Thumbnail by HoosierGreen
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

The tree looks great!! I was holding my PC up to view just when you sent the last image:)
Still interested to hear how they all leave out. thx!

Danville, IN

Weather here is cool and wet. Slight bud swelling on my 'Shirazz'. This week should see some action with temps in the 60s, but probably not much. Probably will see leaf break in another two weeks. I'll post photos then.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

So it looks like it made it through the winter. I would assume you can tell if there were any dead branches. Looking forward to the pictures.

Danville, IN

Oh yes, it looks just fine. No white (dead) twigs at all. The three I planted for customers also look great. They are so excited to see them leaf out too. They are all in slightly different exposures, so it will be a good study on how this cultivar does in Zone 5b.

As of last week the Shirazz maples at my local nursery (zone 7b), had not yet budded out, so they seem to be a bit later than most. I need to sneak over tomorrow and see if they have leaves yet. I'm out on travel next week and the one following. I really want to see their spring color before I head out on vacation in two weeks.

Laura

Flower Mound, TX

I just saw one of these for the first time at my local nursery (North Dallas - border of zone 7 and 8). Priced at $255 for about 4 ft. Totally leafed out. Beautiful. I think I'm going to try it. The nursery guy told me the heat might be alot for it in August (around 100), and the leaves would likely "get crispy", but it should come back fine the next year. Does that sound reasonable? I am a real amateur, but I was impressed by the color and think I have a great place for it.

Danville, IN

If they are late to leaf out, so much the better for my area which often get late spring frosts. Looking at my 'Shirazz' this morning, its buds seem to be not as swelled as my 'Bloodgood', so this might be the case.

Renlouis, if you can get a 4 footer for under $300, I think it's a fair and good price. I do think the heat will affect it, but you might try planting it where it gets afternoon shade and use plenty of organic matter, mulching it well too. Keep it well-watered. Since this is the first year where 'Shirazz' seems to be more widely available nationwide, we should compare notes to see how it performs. It sure is a beauty.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

I just contacted my nursery and they have 5 of them in that haven't leafed out yet. The cost is also $255.00. Sounds like the new suggested list price. Plan to stop by wednesday and pick up the one with the best branch structure.

They are $299 in my area if I remember correctly.

Pictures!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Purchase made within the last hour. It is not a branched or as tall as the picture from Hoosiergreen appears. Took a while to choose one from the five they recieved. Finally chose a taller (four ft may be five) one with more branches and structure. I'll try to post a picture tonight if it is not to dark when I get home.

Hoosier i'd be interested in hearing how you plan to trim yours. And of couse a picture to compare to the one you posted.

Danville, IN

I have trimmed just a few crossed branches and one that just looked 'out of place'. Didn't want to do much because the leaves are so-o-o beautiful. I figure a couple more might need removal after it leafs out. Really no noticeable bud swelling yet even though it's been in the 60s for days. Colder this weekend though.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Here is the picture of the Shirazz that I picked up. I was very careful bringing it home, rewrapping the branches with twine. The new addition arrived home safe and sound.

Thumbnail by wha
Walhalla, SC

Here we are folks...a slightly blurry image of Shirazz leafing out.

Thumbnail by mattlwfowler
Walhalla, SC

Some of you might find this interesting...these leaves are scattered about the trees. Does it remind anyone of another tree?

Thumbnail by mattlwfowler

Pretty pink on red, huh? What else looks like this?

Laurar

Walhalla, SC

The second leaf looks like geisha (wish I would guess shirazz is a sport of), and the first leaf is reminiscent of bucholtz's 'geisha gone wild' sport. I would imagine two independent sources have propagated very similar sports of geisha. I could be wrong but that would be my guess.

My Geisha is still leafing out. Shirazz at the nursery is STILL not leafed out, though the buds are swelling. I stopped there yesterday purposely to see what they were looking like. Everything else is a blaze of color, but not the one I wanted to look at. Grrr. I'm on travel this week and on vacation out of town right after I get back, so probably won't get to see them. Bet they sell when they get leafed out.

Sigh,

Laura

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.