Beginner apple tree question

Charlevoix, MI(Zone 4b)

I would like to add an apple tree or two to our landscape. I've already decided that heirloom and certified organic is the way I'm going and this is at least one of the varieties that I am going to plant.
http://www.treesofantiquity.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=84

My question is this: This tree is self-pollinating. If I plant a *different* variety of a self-pollinating apple tree will they cross-pollinate? Sorry for the dumb question... :(

Michelle in Michigan

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Yes, but it is of no concern. Cross pollination only affects the seeds and you are probably not going to plant those.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

They Say that you get a better yield even with a self-pollinating tree if you plant a different variety.

Baltimore, MD

MsKatt, you should know that McIntosh does not grow well in hot climates, the apples are often mealy and lacking in flavor. It is a northern apple. I would think Spartan is a better choice for your climate - it is half Mcintosh and is very good. Empire is another very good mac cross which is more widely adapted.

Scott

Charlevoix, MI(Zone 4b)

Scott...I'm in Michigan. :)

Baltimore, MD

Gee, why did I think you were in Missouri?!? "MIssouri" I guess was the thinking. Sorry about that.

Scott

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.